Start of Casting & Stabilizing Station

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

IMG_0049.JPG

Interested in any feedback or comments that I may want to consider. Top is 30" off floor. Large vessel is just above elbow height at centerline. Will be adding pop-off and regulator for small vessel. Vacuum pump will go on bottom. On wheels. Free workspace also on backside behind elevated tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like the concept for sure. Can the bolts for the big pot swing away cleanly? Looks like they might get hung up. I've got two big 5 gallon and one 2.5 gallon now that I've gotta build something for.

MRDucks2

I'll take a side and rear shot tomorrow. The big pot is sticking out and supported behind the handle. Everything swings clearly away and there is a hook to hang the lid bail on. Rear is strapped down.

Oh one other thing... You may want to consider screwing down a piece of HDPE to the top. That's just if you want to keep it free of built up resin. Any resin spills are likely to become well bonded to the top of that. My new casting bench has a hardwood top that is safely hidden under a thin hdpe sheet. :) Spilled a batch last night being a bonehead and just scraped it off this morning good as new.

MRDucks2

Start of Casting & Stabilizing Station

The lid for the 5 gallon tank is a bit heavy on it's own. As such, the regulator and oil/water separator do not add much. You will notice I kept everything within the bail so it is not easily hit.

With the center of the tank slightly below elbow level, it gives very good control over the lid. Putting it on you lift with both hands and sit it in place which removes the weight of the lid. Hold it steady with one hand and flip the top clamps over. It will now stay in place as you flip the bottom clamps up and snug them, beginning your tightening sequence.

To remove, after pressure is relieved, you loosen all the clamps then loosen the bottom two until they swing away. Hold lid in position on rim as you loosen and flip the the top two clamps back.

Then, with both hands grab the bail and pull the lid off, lowering the bail onto the hook directly below the tank.

The stuff on the lid never gets in the way. Air hose is always removed for lid positioning.

Last edited:

Lefley

View attachment 174890

Interested in any feedback or comments that I may want to consider. Top is 30" off floor. Large vessel is just above elbow height at centerline. Will be adding pop-off and regulator for small vessel. Vacuum pump will go on bottom. On wheels. Free workspace also on backside behind elevated tank.

Your big pressure pot. What make and size is it?

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

MRDucks2

Big pot is California Air Tools 5 gallon, pot only, no accessories that I bought new online for less than $200 in the fall, then added $100 worth of mods to. LOL. Stinking brass fittings are expensive. I wanted it because I can go 11" wide and 12" long if needed.

MRDucks2

Just out of curiosity why do you need a oil/water separator on the pot?

Don't know that you would need one but I put it there because I generally do not use one on the compressor and already had that one on the bench.

As I generally use my compressed air for blowing and cleaning I do get some moisture in from time to time. Prefer to drop it out before it had a chance to hit any uncured castings, especially since I plan to do some larger flat surfaces pieces in the big pot.

Top Bottom