Stanilizing with mutiple color stains

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

How do people achieve the multi colored blanks when they stabilize them? I'm assuming that the concept is based on how different grain orientation will cause the blank absorb colors deeper and faster than other regions. I gut tells me that they'll stabilize the blank in stages where one stage will be with a certain color and pressure then the next will be with a different color at a higher pressure to achieve deeper penetration of the due. Is this correct or am I waaaayy off? Thank you everyone for putting up will all of my questions :p.

-Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just remember, the amount of pressure we are able to achieve in a shop setting with air will not do much for stabilizing. Vacuum does a much better job. If you are able to achieve real high pressure (5,000 psi) then you will be able to do some good.

Here are the results from a test I recently did. It is also included below in PDF form so it is easier to read.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stabilize.PNG
    Stabilize.PNG
    180.7 KB · Views: 407
  • StabilizationResults.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 144

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I really like that graph Curtis.... Just wish I knew what it meant :biggrin:

Richard,

There is more to it including a complete write up on my testing methods but I did not post it all here!

The first bar shows what the blanks weighed in grams before stabilizing.
The second bar shows what they weighed after going through a 99.9% vacuum cycle until the bubbles stopped.
The Third bar shows what they weighed after being subjected to 70 psi for 24 hours AFTER the vacuum cycle.
The fourth bar shows the weight after another vacuum cycle after the pressure cycle.
The fifth bar show the final weight after they were polymerized in the oven.

SDB777

Curtis, where did you post all the info?

After reading the short 'description above' it sure does help understand the graph a little better.

Scott (very cool stuff) B

Top Bottom