Stamp casting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I just cast 4 sets of decoupage stamp pens and noticed that some of the colors in the stamps bled a bit, Red stamps turned pink and some lost detail. I used 5 coats of Mod-Podge and allowed it to dry for two days after the final coat thinking that would seal everything and they looked fine prior to pouring the PR. Any ideas? Should I cover the finished tubes with a coat of thin CA prior to casting or what...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Are they actual stamps? Or copies of stamps? It would surprise me if regular stamps
would run. The mail can see all sorts of weather, so that's supposed to be figured
into the printing process.

PenMan1

I've had that problem, also. When I finally got to "the bottom" of the issue, it was stamps made with soybean ink. Rather than taking a chance on colors "running" I just use PPA, followed by thin CA.

For what it's worth, thin CA doesn't cause as much bleed as medium. So, I start with 2 coats of thin, them medium CA.

If you still need to cast the blank, allow at least 1 day for the CA to finish "off gassing".

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are they actual stamps? Or copies of stamps? It would surprise me if regular stamps
would run. The mail can see all sorts of weather, so that's supposed to be figured
into the printing process.

Silly, Charlie!!!!

If the printing comes off in the rain, they can return the item to you for postage, again!!!!

USPS needs SOME way to fill their budget gap!!!

wiset1

I've had that problem, also. When I finally got to "the bottom" of the issue, it was stamps made with soybean ink. Rather than taking a chance on colors "running" I just use PPA, followed by thin CA.

For what it's worth, thin CA doesn't cause as much bleed as medium. So, I start with 2 coats of thin, them medium CA.

If you still need to cast the blank, allow at least 1 day for the CA to finish "off gassing".

Thanks for the feedback!

I used the Scotch Quick dry adhesive glue as used by the staffers at PSI who posted the Decoupage video on youtube. This worked fine and gave plenty of time to position and dried clear. I guess I'll have to seal it with some thin CA and gas off for a couple days prior to casting. Truth is I hate dealing with CA when I can just cast and be done with it. I reserve the CA for wood and segmenting.

Also, as far as I know...they are all real stamps. The post marks are on them from being used and some range from what look like the early 70's to the 80's. Who know what was used for ink..

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback

Top Bottom