Stamp Blank Cloudy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So here is my newbie caster problem. I just bought some Polyester Resin and decided to make my first pen blank a stamp blank because I collect stamps and I thought it would be cool. Well as I proceeded to TRY to find a how to video I came up very short.

So I decided to improvise and give it a shot. I glued the stamps to the tube with modge podge then had a layer on the outside of modge podge to make it shinny. Well my problem comes in when after I cast it, I am not getting the crisp clear magnified stamp blank as i had hoped. I am getting this foggy white cloud kind of thing over the stamps. The acrylic is clear, just the stamps became clouded. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I use a different adhesive to adhere the stamps? use more modge podge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I'd think...don't know for sure, that it's the Mod Podge. Did you not find videos on casting, or stamp blanks? I'd try the old stand by...CA for gluing. What could be happening is the PR gets really hot as it cures. That may cause the MP to "melt" a bit and mix with the resin. Tons of stamp pen pictures out there...look at one and have at it!
Oh...I also found this using the Search function...http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/Postage_Stamp_Pen_Blank.pdf

Last edited:

stonepecker

Check the Library.........there is a whole lesson on making a stamp pen.

I also am looking at making castings with PR. Still have a long way to go before I attempt anything. But that is just me. I want to know what I am getting into before spending my money.

The library is doing me well with the "how to" part. It is just isn't really answering my gluing delema. I know how to make it. Very straight forward.

videos that I have seen people live and die by Modge Podge with PR. That is why I am so confused. The over heating does make sense though.

turncrazy43

Do you think Krylon Crystal Sealer sprayed over the stamps to seal them in would work as well? People use that spray to seal decals to blanks prior to applying a CA finish.

its_virgil

my only problem similar to yours happened when I did not let the mod podge dry/cure long enough. Glue on the stamps (using mod lodge) and let them dry for a couple of days. Then coat the stamps and let them dry a couple of days. Mod Podge is not my favorite but it does work. CA works fine but can be tricky with stamps. White glue also works (so I've been told...not tried it). Whatever you use let it dry for a couple of days.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Jim Burr

Banned
The vid's I saw on YT just showed MP and CA...no casting. Think about this...get some Sierra style tubes, do several in the variations possible with this genre'. See what works and add it to the library!

Dorno

i am currently playing around with with some stamp blanks and have been told to do all of the above but after letting the whole thing dry for several days then give them a few coats of CA as per CA finish and then let dry again for a few days and then finally cast in clear resin this i believe should solve your problems:biggrin:

cheers Ian

RDH79

No PR used

I have made probably 20 stamp blanks. I dont even use PR. I just glue a sierra tube in a piece of maple and turn down a little smaller than the size needed for a sierra. I stick (not glue) the stamps to te wood.. Spray with the decal spray( its the testors stuff for decals). Let set for a couple days and finish with CA . No PR needed.
Thats just how I do it. Theres a video on PSI that shows the same thing but they just use the modge podge.

TallTurner

Mod Pog Mess

I too have had problem with mod Pog milking. I think I made matters worse with a couple top layers of mod podge. after that mistake, I started gluing with mp but top coating polyacrylic spray to seal it before casting. Good look.

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
I have used Mod Podge and can tell you with near certainty that you are casting before the Mod Podge is completely dry. I live in a fairly humid climate and have learned that I need to "bake" the blanks for 10 or so minutes at 120° f to completely dry them. If the Mod Podge encounters any water it will cloud. I also found that it was wise to seal the ends after the blanks are trimmed using thin CA. The Mod Podge will cloud eve from water used during polishing!

Top Bottom