Stabilizing with vacuum and polyurethane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Back on track here...

Enough bickering everyone....I have some relevant information here! I currently have a couple of blanks in the pot tonight. I had some semi-gloss polyurethane for floors (super fast drying) left over from a couple of months ago, so I'm using that for my first test run. I have some bolivian rosewood I drilled out for a cigar, and some figured walnut for a slim pencil. After weighing and microwaving a few times to make sure the moisture was out of the wood, I let the blanks cool. I thinned down the poly with some mineral spirits, just enough to make it seem thin enough to penetrate, and soaked the two sets of blanks for about 6 hours in the pv pot at 25" of vacuum. I slowly readjusted the pressure to normal, then pressurized to 60 psi and I'm leaving it overnight. I'll pull them out in the morning and let them cure for about a day or so and see how they turn out! I've worked with these woods unstabilized before so I should be able to tell a difference when I'm working with the new ones if things go as planned. I'll update for those who haven't yet abandoned this forsaken thread.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Enough bickering everyone....I have some relevant information here! I currently have a couple of blanks in the pot tonight. I had some semi-gloss polyurethane for floors (super fast drying) left over from a couple of months ago, so I'm using that for my first test run. I have some bolivian rosewood I drilled out for a cigar, and some figured walnut for a slim pencil. After weighing and microwaving a few times to make sure the moisture was out of the wood, I let the blanks cool. I thinned down the poly with some mineral spirits, just enough to make it seem thin enough to penetrate, and soaked the two sets of blanks for about 6 hours in the pv pot at 25" of vacuum. I slowly readjusted the pressure to normal, then pressurized to 60 psi and I'm leaving it overnight. I'll pull them out in the morning and let them cure for about a day or so and see how they turn out! I've worked with these woods unstabilized before so I should be able to tell a difference when I'm working with the new ones if things go as planned. I'll update for those who haven't yet abandoned this forsaken thread.
I think you need to start a new thread with the results, PLEEEZ!

cozee

FYI: When I tried to stabilize using poly I found it took a while (i.e. a week) to cure. It was cured on the outside, but was still wet as I moved into the wood.

I had the same problem. I now use a hot box for drying about everything. I just use a defunct fridge, vented (adjustable slide vents) at top and bottom. Single 100w light bulb inside controlled by a ceiling fan speed control to make the heat output of the light adjustable. I can shut the bottom vent and leave the top barely open to vent anything possibly volatile and can get up to around 125 degrees out of that one 100w. Thinking of switching to a 150w to see if I can get 140 degrees.

Top Bottom