Stabilizing tree bark..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beautys_Beast

I searched both the forums, and Google, and haven't come up with anything. Has anyone ever stabalized and cast tree bark? I have a bunch of walnut tree bark that is close to an inch thick. When I cut it, it has really cool grain pattern.

Before I waste the cactus juice, I just wanted to see if anyone has ever tried it. I have it in the toaster oven right now getting nice and dry.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have seen tree bark used in castings after stabilization, but I don't recall seeing its use just stabilized without casting.

Beautys_Beast

Okay, so I have some in the toaster oven drying. I will stabilize it first, then add acrylic like worthless wood, and put it in the pressure pot. We shall see how it goes.

robutacion

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned that I have stabilised and cast many types of bark, many of them still listed on my web-store.

You shouldn't have any problem with it if you can keep it all together, it stabilises and casts well, I have sold and used stabilized only tree bark, it becomes solid with Cactus Juice.

You drying preparation (oven) is probably the most important step in the whole thing, if you make it moisture free, the final results will be very good.

Some of the tree bark I recall using are, Pine bark, Cork bark, Red Ironbark bark, Ash bark and others...!

Good luck,:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Beautys_Beast

Thanks George. I have both Walnut bark, and Cherry bark. Both still on the wood, both over a year old.

My first test is in the toaster oven right now, hardening the Cactus Juice. Once it is done, It will go in the mold, and I will cast the acrylic over it. I will post some pictures tomorrow when it is done.

Beautys_Beast

So here it is, stabilized, and cast. I will attempt to turn it this weekend.

Attachments

• 20180105_192303.jpg
    20180105_192303.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 299
Top Bottom