Stabilizing test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

I just made my first test batch of stabilized blanks. I wanted to do something different and try drilled blanks but they will need to be re drilled or cleaned out before the tube will fit, ok but doable. I did a few blanks cut long, drilled and with the tubes in, not glued and WOW I think it's going to work great. The tubes are glued in from the cactus juice. The cactus juice flakes off the inside of the tube so no problem trying to get it out. I glue and pre turn my blanks almost down to the finish size, this saves time finishing large orders. I stabilized a few pre turned blanks and I think this is going to work also. Going to turn those in a few minutes. I'm going to try a few ways to finish. My regular way with CA, fewer coats of ca and wet sanded with no ca. I will update this evening.

Has anyone else tried any of this?

plantman

Jim, my guess is, if the Cactus Juice flakes off the inside of the tube, you are only getting a pressure fit between tube and blank and not a chemical or adhesive bond. Therefore any twisting pressure could loosen your tube from your blank. Jim S

jrc

I turned my test blanks yesterday and they came out great. The two drilled blanks with no tubes the tubes went in fine with no trouble but that may not happen all the time. I always rough up my tubes up very good and the five that the tubes were in but not glued I tried with much pressure to push them out, they were in to stay. The two blanks that were glued and pre turned were good. I thought the gorilla glue might have a reaction from the heat from curing. Next test will be to cut a tube longer than two blanks, rough the tube with sandpaper and have a space between the blanks then stabilize them. When there out of the oven and cool I will try to twist them off the tube. I like the idea that I can trim my blanks down a little smaller than 3/4 x 3/4 and drill the hole and know I will get good penetration and use less cactus juice. It's always good to try new things and it's good to make mistakes that you learn from.

Top Bottom