Stabilizing Mesquite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cotton

I'm new at stabilizing and trying some cross cut mesquite. It's been 12 hours and I'm still getting a fair amount of bubbles. Is this normal? The only other wood I've done was spalted and the bubbles stoped and the wood sank to the bottom. Is this the results I'm going for with all wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Imaginethat

I'm not the expert, but what I have read, seen and done is to weigh the wood down to the bottom of the pot. The wood is left in until there are no more bubbles. Only my 2 cents.

KenV

Did you dry it in the oven for a day or two first???

Even with super dry wood, it can take 24-30 hours for fine texture woods like mesquite

(I seldom treat mesquite unless there are punky places like come with roots)

Cotton

Thanks for the replies. They are completely submerged and I dried them in the oven for around 26 hours. The last 6 hours had no weight change so I figured it was as dry as I could get it. My hopes are to turn a pen with the end grain showing down the side of the pen. Tried it once without stabilizing and the wood fell apart. I guess I just need to be patient.

Last edited:

KenV

Cross cut blanks are a challenge. I have best success with shearing cuts and use skew or spindle gouge or Hunter carbide tool in shear cutting mode.

Flat top scrapers laid over and shear cuts riding the bevel can,work but are a tricky to develop the feel with out catching.

Cotton

Cross cut blanks are a challenge. I have best success with shearing cuts and use skew or spindle gouge or Hunter carbide tool in shear cutting mode.

Flat top scrapers laid over and shear cuts riding the bevel can,work but are a tricky to develop the feel with out catching.

Was the wood you cut stablized? Being a newbi I need all them help I can get.

KenV

Was the wood you cut stablized? Being a newbi I need all them help I can get.

I,snowbird in Tucson where mesquite grows and turn a fair bit of it. Pieces of root burl with punky gets cactus juice.

Sharp tools dull fast with mesquite. Cuttings come off hot. Cross cut means you are cutting end grain all the way and any snall cracks want to chip out. I fill flaws with black epoxy and shear cut end grain. Knots often need a small bowl gouge or Hunter style cup carbide.

CA can help with cracks more than cactus juice. Cactus juice does not fill/bind cracks well.

Cotton

Thanks Ken, I have 200 acres that's mostly mesquite. Mostly use it for smoking but a few years back I started milling it to make picture frames and such. Turned a few pens long grain and have tried a couple cross grain without success. I'll give what you suggested a shot and see if I can pull it off. Thanks for the help!

Cotton

Didn't know that about the roots, I'll have to see if I can dig some up. Is it an part of the root?

I was told if you can find where mistletoe grew that it would give you burl. Hopefully that's true because I've found a tree that the trunk looks like an hourglass from mistletoe.

KenV

There is a root ball just under the ground that can be spectacular. They sell them in Tubac, south of Tucson for a princely price (for a sound one) after a washing. Rocks and sand are a hazard. The balls with punk are cheaper.

Most roots have attractive grain and some have color.

Mistletoe distress causes grain distortion and "burr". Burr is the Brittish term for fancy grain and color but not the little eyes of a burl.

You might find eyes in the grain ball, but most likely not.

Cotton

Finally got to turn a pen with the stabilized cross cut mesquite. Turned out OK but not quite the wow factor I was hoping for.

Attachments

• F7766ED3-CF7A-46D7-84AF-B37A081FD8B6.jpg
    F7766ED3-CF7A-46D7-84AF-B37A081FD8B6.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 147

KenV

Root for wow, crotch for wow.

Nice looking pen. Much more attractive than ho-hum straight grain mesquite. Good job.

Top Bottom