Stabilizing equipment questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all. I have been browsing through several stabilizing kits and equipment. What is basically what you need to do stabilizing?
Woodcraft sells a stabilizing kit that includes 2 chambers (one large and one small) a hose , and something they call a "vacuum generator"

Buy Hold Fast Complete Vacuum Stabilization Chamber Kit at Woodcraft.com

Somewhat hidden in the descriptions it mentions that a compressor is needed. Isn't this what the vacuum generator is for?
Anyone familiar with this product can give me some information, please?
Anyone here sells this equipment?
As always, thank you for your time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

A vacuum generator is a device that passes compressed air through a venturi causing a vacuum. They work, but you need a compressor, and air must flow continuously to make vacuum. If you do not own a compressor now a vacuum pump is way cheaper plus it is more efficient.

LagniappeRob

Harbor Freight has one - Vacuum Pump - AC Vacuum Pump w/ R134A & R12 Connectors

There's is mainly for evacuating a/c systems but could be used for other things. I have it, and would NOT recommend it. Uses a lot more air than the one Woodcraft is listing. I ended up having to close the valve. Let the compressor rebuild pressure and go a second time to get the vacuum I wanted... this wouldn't be a good thing for stabilizing.

If you don't have a decent sized compressor - I'd spend the money on a vacuum pump instead. You could buy an Ok 2 stage for what they're charging for that "generator".

redneckmedic

Harbor Freight has one - Vacuum Pump - AC Vacuum Pump w/ R134A & R12 Connectors

There's is mainly for evacuating a/c systems but could be used for other things. I have it, and would NOT recommend it. Uses a lot more air than the one Woodcraft is listing. I ended up having to close the valve. Let the compressor rebuild pressure and go a second time to get the vacuum I wanted... this wouldn't be a good thing for stabilizing.

If you don't have a decent sized compressor - I'd spend the money on a vacuum pump instead. You could buy an Ok 2 stage for what they're charging for that "generator".

I actually have that same HF unit and do like it....for only 3,reasons...its inexpensive, it is very small and stores easy in my pressure pot, and I don't go from 0 -> 60 in one vacuum pull. I let the pressure work up slowly with 2>3 compressure charges so I don't spill cactus juice all over my tank. I stabalize a little different. I use my pressure pot for both functions, vacuum and pressure, both with their own on/off lever and gauge. I just can't watch the vacuum process, that's the biggest downfall.

It works for my application...not ideal for most folks.

healeydays

I've tried the Hold Fast resin they are selling by TMI and it works as well as the other 2 that are sold by folks here. The thing that is handy is if you are short of CJ or the other one and have to get it done today, you can drop by your local Woodcraft and you're back in business...

OK Thanks all for your answers. They really helped me to make up my mind. Next question is: I see references to "Cactus Juice" and "Resin" to use as stabilizer medium. Are they different things or are about the same? Or do they have a different use or application?
Again, thank you for your time.

healeydays

OK Thanks all for your answers. They really helped me to make up my mind. Next question is: I see references to "Cactus Juice" and "Resin" to use as stabilizer medium. Are they different things or are about the same? Or do they have a different use or application?
Again, thank you for your time.

Cactus Juice is a resin as is all the good stabilizing products. Here is a link to Curtis' site for an explanation.

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?op...mans-cactus-juice&catid=35:articles&Itemid=61

LagniappeRob

I actually have that same HF unit and do like it...

To be honest I think I have the previous version of it. Maybe it got better, but I was not impressed and chalked it up to "you get what you pay for". I'd still say if you don't already have a decent compressor capable of moving 4+CFM @ 90PSI for a good stint at a time, I'd go the vacuum pump route.

Marc

I am one who has just started on this journey and can tell you, from my perspective, it is a lot of fun. I have had some great results with both pen blanks and bowls (large and small). When you also add some color to the resins, and only certain ones work well, it adds a great new dimension. I started with the Hold Fast system. The gallon of resin from them is a bit more that the cactus juice version, and hold fast also has an optional stabilizing method for large bowl blanks that works well.

Good luck.

mdromey

I am completely new at stabilizing but I must say Curtis with Turn Tex has the best customer service.

Jim Burr

Banned
I have the biggest tank Curtis makes...on one hand, I did not need one that big...on the other hand, I make enough to buy more CJ and pen kits by stabilizing for others. I am really tempted to get the 14" PVC round...Hmmmmm.

StephenM

When you use cactus juice, does it "turn" the wood blank into an acrylic, i.e. do you just shape, skew and micromesh or do you still need to use some sort of finish on the pen?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Stabilizing will not magically turn wood into plastic! You can polish a stabilized piece to a medium gloss but if you want the super high, glass finish, you are going to have to do some kind of film finish such as CA. As for moisture resistance, if the stabilizing was done well, the wood will be resistant to moisture.

Top Bottom