Stabilized Mini Pine Cones and Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneryan65

I stabilized the mini pine cones with Cactus Juice first...didn't see that much absorbtion so I don't think it was really necessary to stabilize them. Cast with Pearl Brown,Translucent Brown and Pure White. Placed in pressure pot at 70 PSI. I found that when I have a lot of room for voids the more pressure the better. I made this blank 2 x 2 square and was going to trim it down and get 4 pen blanks out of it but I decided to make a lidded box out of it. Im stoked how this turned out. I will use this color combo again for some pen blanks.

Attachments

• Mini Pinecone Brown White.jpg
    Mini Pinecone Brown White.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • First Lidded Box.jpg
    First Lidded Box.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 623
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tazhunter0

If you ever have any pen blanks I would be interested in some. I could even come by and get them since I work in Dallas.

Chris

Marko50

That is a beautiful box Wayne! Love, love, love it! I've done quite a few pen blank castings with pine cones. No one is ever the same.

You're right too, more pressure in this case is a good thing. The higher the pressure, the less voids you'll end up with. Try heating up your pine cones just before you cast (put them on a cookie sheet and put your oven to 140-150 and let them sit for about 20 minutes), dump them into your mold. Pour your PR/AL in and it will thin it out, due to the heat making it easier for the material to squeeze into the voids and easier for you to quickly get it into the pot.

Great pour!

Top Bottom