Stabilization Help Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pjkoths

Hello -
I am new to pen turning and Wood Stabilization - learning a lot from everyone here - Thank You!

I have stabilized spalted pen blanks and noticed that at the beginning the wood floats and upon completion of the vacuum process the wood no longer floats it sinks to the bottom of the juice.

Here is my question - I have just stabilized my first batch of Maple Burl and when complete with the vacuum process the wood still floats. It was in the vacuum chamber for over 3 hours and there were a very very slight intermittent bubble or two, not much different than I have seen with my limited experience. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

If they're still submerged give them some time. I was getting tiny bubbles a couple days ago from some maple. Three pieces sank and one floated like a dead goldfish till the next morning. They're still soaking.

Camardelle

And for the record I don't claim to be the definitive authority on this. There are many here and elsewhere who surpass my knowledge. This is just based on my experience. I hope it helped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim'sTurnings

I would put them back into the vacuum chamber and make sure your vacuum pump is running the whole time you have them in there at full vacuum. My pieces of spalted pecan pen blanks took a lot more time than you stated for yours. I keep mine in vacuum until I see NO bubbles, but I don't have a lot of experience either. But I do know to make sure that the vacuum pump is running the whole time your pieces are in there and, as you are doing, let them soak when you take them out. They should all sink when full of the stabilizing solution, in my opinion. Good luck.
Tim.

pjkoths

Thank you for all your help.

I am posting my results . . . I put the blanks back in the vacuum chamber again for a little over 24 hours with the vacuum pump running the entire time, there was no bubbling at the end of this time. I let the wood soak weighted another 24 hours. When I removed the weight all the blanks floated. After all that I did not expect them to float.

I cooked them and they came out just like other blanks I have done. I will turn one and see what happens.

Thanks,
Pete

PatrickR

I have had this happen with white oak. Three days under vacuum and there were still some small bubbles. I have not noticed any difference in the final product and the CJ looks to have penetrated throughout the blanks.

Rifleman1776

How strong is your vacuum? In other words, what inches of mercury are you pulling? I use only 23 inches, however many like as much as 27. I have found some wood sinks, some doesn't. I don't think I have ever pulled a vacuum for more than one hour although I have set some soak overnight.

pjkoths

How strong is your vacuum? In other words, what inches of mercury are you pulling? I use only 23 inches, however many like as much as 27. I have found some wood sinks, some doesn't. I don't think I have ever pulled a vacuum for more than one hour although I have set some soak overnight.

I pull 29" of vacuum with my JB Eliminator DV-4E pump. I am sitting about 32 feet above sea level.

I have stabilized a few different types of wood that have floated (no bubbles and then soaked 24 hours), yet when turned have had total juice penetration. I guess it just depends on the wood.

Pete

Top Bottom