!st cast with Pearl Ex Powders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Here is my third cast made today with Casting Craft and 2 colors mixed from Misty Lavender and Micro Pearl Pearl Ex powders. I mixed the violet before I added the catalyst, forgot to but after I got it all mixed in I added the catalyst and stirred and then added a small amount of the micro pearl which brought out more color but I hope it turns out like yours Lenny I like the swirls like that. I took a quick pic of it in the mold and it looked like scales anfter I kept stirrig with a toothpick to keep the powders swirled and then it went bam jelly so I quit.
I read everythign I could and thanks for the help. When I get it out of the mold I will post more. There is a lot of purple and silver in this the pic is bad but it has a lot of color.
One thing the mold gets a little warm huh ouch

Attachments

• IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

simomatra

Looks interesting Jerry, I couldn't see the picture first up but now visible. You ill know when you cut the slab up into blanks what the inside will look like. Here hoping there is some good swirls in there. thats the wonder of turning casting you never know what is inside. Love Pearlex

ZanderPommo

now just get a gallon of silmar 41 shipped to your door for $50 bucks and stop pouring liquid gold into your mold :wink:
*uscomposites*......cough*

Lenny

Looking Good! ... and somehow a little familiar. :wink::biggrin:

I like your mold too!

Of course you know we have entered into the abyss. :)

jason_r

Jerry-

Nice looking start.

Look up "Sticky Stuff" in the phone book and you can get PR by the gallon or 5gallon bucket from them.

-They're on your side of town.
-they sell the catalyst separately.
- on a per-gallon basis they're not much cheaper then mail order, but
on a 5 gallon bucket it'd be a lot cheaper.

Seer

I turned a slim last night from this and thought if I used silver colored tubes I would not have to paint but was I wrong the swirl patters looked real nice till I put it together. It does not look to bad but next one gets the blanks painted and I need to add more pearlex to it I think. The red one I made from mixing white and red testors and some pink ivory shavings, ok but not again learning more as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5092.jpg
    IMG_5092.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 185

Seer

I just used a violet pearlex and added some white micropearl pearlex. Makes it nice as I showed but I think I need to add a little more violet next time.

What pigments are you using for this? Or was it a coloured pearl? Looks like it's going to make a few stunning pens!!

Phil

PTownSubbie

The ends of the slim are always so thin it makes it hard to get good color coverage without painting.

The pen looks good otherwise. Not bad for one of your first casts!!

Lenny

I turned a slim last night from this and thought if I used silver colored tubes I would not have to paint but was I wrong the swirl patters looked real nice till I put it together. It does not look to bad but next one gets the blanks painted and I need to add more pearlex to it I think. The red one I made from mixing white and red testors and some pink ivory shavings, ok but not again learning more as I go.

Looks good! :)...

I kinda like the red/pink ivory one too!

That's exactly why I've been waiting to get a different paint before attempting to turn my first cast. I've had trouble in the past with the paint flaking off etc. I picked up the Delta creamcoat paint tonight that had been recommended by Andy and Curtis. No more excuses now!:biggrin:

Seer

Well here it is a Chrome Navigator with my casting and the blanks were back painted white (word of note should have used silver) not bad but it has a lot of shimmer which is cool, also kind of chippy (probably too much catalyst 7 drops per ounce) I am happy with it nad look forward to comments.
Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_5094.jpg
    IMG_5094.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5095.jpg
    IMG_5095.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 123

jaeger

Is this the blanks from your first picture in this thread. I thought it would be a little darker.
Nice job though!!!
Did you have any air pockets at all?

Seer

Yes they are the same my picture was a little darker and I only used 1 scoop of violet and a small one of micropearl. If I had painted theblank silver it may be darker. Next time more pearlex to make it darker. This is a light violet witha nice shimmer to it that I tried to catch in the picture.

Top Bottom