So I had this idea for casting over wood...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I love the look of wood. I like the look of some woods with a CA finish. I dislike doing CA finishes. The thought occurred to me that it might be possible to slightly under-turn and sand a wooden pen blank, then cast it in PR. I know I can easily create a flawless finish on PR. Thoughts?

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I love the look of wood. I like the look of some woods with a CA finish. I dislike doing CA finishes. The thought occurred to me that it might be possible to slightly under-turn and sand a wooden pen blank, then cast it in PR. I know I can easily create a flawless finish on PR. Thoughts?

Regards,
Michael

As noted PR will not bond well with wood. Why do you not perfect your CA method. I read so much problems with CA here that it gets mindbogglingly. It is one of the simplest forms of finish. A couple coats of thin CA followed by 4 or 5 coats of med CA all done with standing in front of the blank for no more than 5 seconds. Two swipes back and forth and walk away. Stop trying to get that perfect finish with each coat. Never happen.

Many methods of applying but sometimes I think people just like trying to reinvent the wheel. The very first pen I applied I had a perfect finish and never looked back. If I can do it so can you. If you can as you say create a flawless finish on acrylic why can't you do the same with a CA finish. Practice makes perfect and remember it is not rocket science. :)

Bob in SF

I haven't tried it - but also thinking about it - my approach would be:
Under-turn the blank
Sand to 600 grit
CA coat generously so CA is the "interface", and sand a bit more with care to avoid exposed wood
Tube-in cast with PR
Complete turning/finishing as usual
(might give it a whirl myself because it could open some creative possibilities including interesting initial turning profiles, carving or drilling and packing areas with CA+pigment, CA+stone inlays, etc.)
Good luck! - Bob

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

As noted PR will not bond well with wood. Why do you not perfect your CA method. I read so much problems with CA here that it gets mindbogglingly. It is one of the simplest forms of finish. A couple coats of thin CA followed by 4 or 5 coats of med CA all done with standing in front of the blank for no more than 5 seconds. Two swipes back and forth and walk away. Stop trying to get that perfect finish with each coat. Never happen.

Many methods of applying but sometimes I think people just like trying to reinvent the wheel. The very first pen I applied I had a perfect finish and never looked back. If I can do it so can you. If you can as you say create a flawless finish on acrylic why can't you do the same with a CA finish. Practice makes perfect and remember it is not rocket science. :)

John, thanks for the encouragement, though I said I don't like to do it, not that I can't do it. :biggrin:

I do find it challenging to be consistent. I've had a few pens where no sanding was needed at all, and others that have taken several re-works to get a good finish.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom