Snake Skin-Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Anyone tried and had success casting snake skin with Alumilite? If so, any prior skin prep to protect it. I know a lot of people use PR but I'm not willing to use it due to the smell. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Casting in Polyresin is fairly simple. The problem come in when you turn them too aggressively and the skin pulls away from the resin. They can be a test of the patients. I've tried alumilite with no success and gave up to save the skins and resin. There are a few new resins out but I haven't tried them. In the beginning I was looking for something that would be easier to use, and turn but in the end I've concluded snakes are just one of those things you can't cut corners on and will continue to be a challenge casting and turning, at least until someone takes the time to find a new way. For me I fall too far behind with blanks I need to get done when experimenting. Good luck and I hope someone takes this further.

Last edited:

its_virgil

I agree with John. Alumilite (the polyurethane resin) is not a good choice for casting snake skins. Too many failure once the blanks go on the lathe. I use polyester resin and will continue to do so. No experimenting for me...my process is working nicely with polyester resin. I do use Alumilite for other castings.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom