Smooth-On

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marmotjr

From a few other projects, I have a decent little stock of Oomoo silicone for mold making, and 322 resin for casting, both from Smooth-On.

I was wondering how these two products would do for blank making? I see alumilite (which I have yet to do my homework on yet) is referred to a lot for blank making, but the 322 resin seems like it would make a decent blank. Granted the 322 is overkill in terms of pot life and cure time for blanks, but it was for another project where I needed it to get deep into cracks, so it's very low viscosity.

Hmmm.... I see a lump of waste leftover on my bench, lemme go turn it real quick and see.

EDIT: Seems to turn fine.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/smooth-cast-322/

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

I've tried the Smooth-On clear casting resin. I'm not sure of the number of the product but I think there is only one. It was very easy to use and made some nice cast. The problem I had with it was I couldn't quite get the shine I wanted when finishing. Another problem is the heat factor is low. I think it was somewhere around 110-120 degrees. The difference that made was that if you were too aggressive turning or sanding the resin would soften and could ruin a blank. Be careful and you can make it work.

Top Bottom