Slowing the cure time for PR?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I have a nice rack set up for my pressure pot. I could double the number of blanks per batch with another layer, but don't want to run out of time to get them all in the pot before they start to cure.

Is there a way to slow the resin's cure time without causing other problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have a nice rack set up for my pressure pot. I could double the number of blanks per batch with another layer, but don't want to run out of time to get them all in the pot before they start to cure.

How many drops are you using Chris? Right now with Silmar 41 and with a temperature of 93 outside, it takes about 16 minutes to gel for me. And that's using 4 drops per ounce

m4skinner

How many blanks would you be able to do at one time that you think they would start curing ?

Terredax

Banned
If you are using pre-promoted polyester, you can reduce the amount of catalyst.
One issue with that method is, if you are coloring the resin, the colors will be more likely to blend.
Another method is to keep the resin around 65 degrees. An issue doing this is, the resin has a thicker viscosity, and can trap air. With using pressure, it might reduce the chances of trapped air though. One procedure to help eliminate the air is to use vibration, before pressurizing.

thewishman

Currently I'm doing 45 at a time, clear, tube-on. I use 3.5 drops per ounce. A second rack would double my capacity, but probably take too long to pour accurately.
Was just hoping that I could find an easy fix that wouldn't have negative consequences.

Top Bottom