Size of bolts on Harbor Freight pressure pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kkoscielski

Hi all!!! Guess what.... everything works fine!!! EXCEPT my arthritic thumb. I can't seem to get the lid tight enough. I have been using a pipe wrench to get that extra half turn but that sort of scares me. My great idea was to replace the bolts with hex head bolts. I purchased 4 - M10 X 1.5mm X 45mm bolts and they do fit the pressure pot BUT it will not torque down (starts to get tight then slips). As far as I know there is only three threads for a 10mm bolt 1, 1.25, and 1.5.
Any ideas on finding the correct bolts OR a good way to tighten the cover would be appreciated and if you could include part numbers would be even better. I have been to 3 bolt places (i think that's it for El Paso) and the guys don't seem real interested to sell 4 bolts. THANK YOU!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I saw the same vid! His said FULL THREAD I have no idea what that part means.
Full thread means threads the full length of the bolt (no shoulder n the bolt). I doubt you will find them at Lowes or Home Depot, they probably don't even know what they are. You will most likely have to go to a fastener store like Fastenal. This is what you are looking for.

Dusty

I am not a person that casts any blanks, but I would like to ask a question of those of you that do. If the Harbor Freight pot has to be tightened down as tight as many have stated, is there a problem with the flatness of the mating surfaces? Or is the gasket that bad?
I know their quality leaves a lot to be desired, and price is a consideration when starting out
Perhaps it's just me but, i find life is too short to be fighting a problem with my hobby every time I go to my shop to do something I love doing.
Dusty

dogcatcher

I am not a person that casts any blanks, but I would like to ask a question of those of you that do. If the Harbor Freight pot has to be tightened down as tight as many have stated, is there a problem with the flatness of the mating surfaces? Or is the gasket that bad?
I know their quality leaves a lot to be desired, and price is a consideration when starting out
Perhaps it's just me but, i find life is too short to be fighting a problem with my hobby every time I go to my shop to do something I love doing.
Dusty

They are the cheapest, the quality control reflects that. It is a gamble, and so far many have survived without a death. There are better quality paint tanks out there, but the cost is the reason many chose the Harbor "Fright" tank. It's like driving a car with not enough brake fluid, and praying it will stop when you need to.

PatrickR

Dusty

I have one and don't need to over tighten the screws. More than hand tight will lead to a distorted top and stripped threads. I found a leak on mine at a weld joint. A little epoxy fixed it. There is no reason to take it off of the compressor line as long as its regulated.

Top Bottom