Simlar 41--------Do you like it---????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I am wanting to change brands of casting resin. This is a effort to be more cost effective on my blanks. So how many folks out there like or dislike Simlar 41??????????
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I've been using it for almost three years now. To be honest, I can't tell any difference in it and what I was getting from Douglas and Sturgess (http://www.artstuf.com). Others say they can tell and think D&S has better resin. I disagree. I've talked to several possible resin suppliers trying to find a cheaper resin and it seems that Silmar 41 is a very popular brand and several of the suppliers I found sell it. Oh, to answer your question, I like it! [:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />I am wanting to change brands of casting resin. This is a effort to be more cost effective on my blanks. So how many folks out there like or dislike Simlar 41??????????
Thanks

Gary Max

Don thanks for sharing your thoughts---it's just what I needed to hear and from the right person. Heck if it works for you it MUST be good.
The folks over at at ArtStuff are killing me with thier shipping cost. It got so bad that I had to stop casting.
I felt like I was over chargeing folks for blanks.

mrplace

Gary, get in the phone book and look for fiberglass suppliers. There are usually a couple suppliers to the auto, boat and fabrications industries. Most of them carry some brand of "water clear" resin.

I am not Glasgow or Somerset, but here is one in Nashville. Maybe the shipping would be cheaper, I know you can get the product cheaper.

Nashville, Tennessee
1642 JP Hennessey Dr.
La Vergne, TN 37086-3520
888-457-3401

Gary Max

Don -- that looks like where I am going to buy from---it's over a 100 miles to a real town--- so everything has to be shipped in.
Thanks for the help.

cozee

I recently cast my first blanks using Simlar and found it quite easy to work with. Other than the odor I like it. Turned like butter. Colored well with automotive paint and mixed in some dry pearl in the pink one. Got mine from Mr Fiberglass. Got a lead for a supplier of another resin up in Chicago. Going to get a gallon and give it a try. If I like it it is available in drums!!![:D]

2007564411_1stRESINS.jpg

toolcrazy

I've never used it, but I have bought some and can't wait to cast some up. Waiting for some better weather and the molds that I've ordered. I'll let y'all know when I have some success.

alamocdc

Originally posted by rickbw
<br />Where can you purchase Simlar41?

I got my first quart from Michaels. It was Cast 'N Craft Clear casting resin. I did this in case casting my own wasn't for me. After my very first cast I was hooked and have since bought only from Mr. Fiberglass, as mentioned by Don. I have also experimented with using a variety of coloring methods, and numerous other inclusions. Some worked, some didn't, but half the fun is in the experimentation. For example, cheap acrylic paints from WallyWorld have worked well for me in adding color.

Just a note of caution. For my first few castings I noticed that I got a headache. I made sure my shop was well ventilated, but that didn't seem to help. I then bought a respirator from HF and made sure to use the canister filters for chemical fumes (I can't remember the specifics). The filters for particulate matter won't work, and neither will a dust mask. I no longer get a headache when mixing, and I make sure to move my castings out of the shop while curing. If you have a covered patio and appropriate ambient temperatures you can let them cure there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom