Shopping for a pressure pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChewTerr

Howdy,

So, I've done a moderate amount of casting with only Silmar and optimism, with varying results. Now I feel like it's finally time to break down and buy myself a pressure pot to minimize bubbles and improve my success rate/quality.

I am aware that some people stand by the Harbor Freight option, but I have heard too many horror stories about explosions/etc. I want to get something good that will help me to cast (mostly) pen blanks (partially with a vertical casting kit), and would really appreciate some advice. I saw good references to CA technologies, though I found a review that suggested that the paint pots do not work sufficiently for casting in the long-term. I saw here (C.A. Technologies, Resin Casting Pots, Mold Casting Pots, Pressure Leak Testing) the 51-201C C.A. Technologies 2.5 Gallon Resin (Mold) Casting Pot. Is that sufficient for my purposes? Is it more than I need for casting pen blanks? What would the recommended air compressor be?

Basically, I am willing to spend a premium to ensure safety and that I can use the tool for the long-term, but I do not want to pay extra money for an identical product that's just rebranded to say it covers resin. I'd love to hear a recommendation of a place to buy online that takes into account the quality, price, and shipping. I know there may be specific posts earlier that covered some of this, but I couldn't find anything that quite answered all of my questions, so I'd appreciate some sage advice.

Thank you,
-Will

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Have you ruled out a commercial grade used pot like Devilbiss or new if you have a big bank account? Kigigi (whatever the spelling) and Craigslist occasionally have them for sale and even if you have to replace the seals, whatever gauges and relief valve you'll have a pot capable of the pressures needed for casting at a better price.

Skie_M

If you want a reasonable price, just go with a new Harbor Freight setup. Just make sure to limit yourself (and the pressure) to one that's well within the limits of the equipment and you'll be perfectly safe.

For instance ... if the pot is rated for 60 PSI and all the hoses and fittings can handle 100 PSI or higher, never take it over 45 PSI. Keep to the 75% of the lowest rating for safety... never just set it at the max and leave it, that's where people get problems.

thewishman

That is a solid pot and will last you for many years. I got two pots from Craigslist, but it took months to find one that worked for me. I got a mold rack from a friend and my 2.5 gallon pot can hold 41 blanks at a time. I made a new rack that will hold 45.

Got a second pot - 5 gallons - that could hold two racks of 70 blanks, but I cannot pour that much resin before it would set-up.

thewishman

I started out with a borrowed Grizzly (HF clone) pot and it would start to leak at 30psi. Spend more at the start and you'll be happier for a longer time.

Yes, I know that many people use the HF pot and are happy. I'm not criticizing their decision. I would rather have a pot that is overbuilt than push a lesser pot close to its limits, even just once.

oldtoolsniper

One thing I do regardless of the pot is put a pressure adjuster in the line so it will not over pressure the pot even if I leave it on by accident.

Here is a random example. I airbrush too so I use them to control pressure in the line at the airbrush outlet.

5d3428f57b0405c9dfebf7746db748a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

ChewTerr

Thank y'all a ton! I'm still researching, but I'm excited to try one out once I choose. Oldtoolsniper, I'll be sure to pick one of those up. Thanks for including a sample listing so I can be sure I'm buying the right thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jleiwig

Thank y'all a ton! I'm still researching, but I'm excited to try one out once I choose. Oldtoolsniper, I'll be sure to pick one of those up. Thanks for including a sample listing so I can be sure I'm buying the right thing.

No offense meant, but if your worried about the Harbor Freight pot why would you put a Chinese made regulator on it; and then trust that when you won't trust a Chinese made pressure pot?

A similar regulator/trap made by a reputable company like Parker will run you over $200 alone.

lhowell

To start out search your local Craigslist or go to Harbor Freight. I picked up a HF pressure pot off of craigslist for $30. Spent another $20 on fittings/gauges and it is working fine. I lose a few psi during casting but nothing to make anything fail.

Searching now for a Binks 2.5gallon just to upgrade!

oldtoolsniper

No offense meant, but if your worried about the Harbor Freight pot why would you put a Chinese made regulator on it; and then trust that when you won't trust a Chinese made pressure pot?

A similar regulator/trap made by a reputable company like Parker will run you over $200 alone.

I'm not offended. Quick picture as an example off the Internet to explain a thought process. The point was additional safety measures that are available not an endorsement of a particular product.

jleiwig

I'm not offended. Quick picture as an example off the Internet to explain a thought process. The point was additional safety measures that are available not an endorsement of a particular product.

I'm glad your not offended :biggrin:, but my post was actually intended for the OP whom to me seemed to take your post as a direct referral for that particular item. I just wanted him to be aware that it was more than likely the same quality of Harbor Freight Chinese crap and his original post seemed to be against that.

I guess the TL;DR is that if you truly want a high quality setup across the board I would expect to spend $1000 or more on everything.

You can't buy an expensive pot and put cheap crap accessories on it or it kind of defeats the purpose of paying more for that great pot in the first place right?.

oldtoolsniper

I'm glad your not offended :biggrin:, but my post was actually intended for the OP whom to me seemed to take your post as a direct referral for that particular item. I just wanted him to be aware that it was more than likely the same quality of Harbor Freight Chinese crap and his original post seemed to be against that.

I guess the TL;DR is that if you truly want a high quality setup across the board I would expect to spend $1000 or more on everything.

You can't buy an expensive pot and put cheap crap accessories on it or it kind of defeats the purpose of paying more for that great pot in the first place right?.

I agree 100%, I've spent more money trying to save money then I will ever admit. Why buy the right thing the first time when you can buy the wrong thing twice and then buy the right thing in the end.

Then there is also trying to stay in a budget because for most of us this is a hobby.

ChewTerr

That makes sense. My point was that I appreciated the picture because it'd help me know exactly what it was called and what it would look like. I'll shop the range on them too, and try to find a comfortable balance between price and quality. That said, I will probably spend a little extra on the pot and maybe less on accessories. While all parts are important, I figure only the pot itself is in danger of exploding if quality is poor. So I'll try to buy one that's decent, but am focusing first on getting the right pot.

Skie_M

I'ld focus more on getting the right information first ... if you never intend to get the pot up anywhere near it's maximum, then the Harbor Freight pot is more than safe enough to use. Just make certain you are using the proper safety equipment and that it's all rated for above what the pot can handle and you should be good to go.

Last, but not least, after you put your entire setup together, a test run (with you running the test FROM OUTSIDE THE ROOM, bring the setup up to 90% just to ensure that your safety margin really DOES give you some margin for error. After your test passes, you can then make markings on all your dials and gauges at 75% of the max settings to let you know what your "normal" safe maximum will be and give yourself a rule to never exceed that.

I understand that people are leer of HFT equipment due to poor quality manufacturing, but time and time again I buy HFT equip and it works great. I just know not to try to push these tools to try to do what other more expensive and more powerful tools can do, which would just overwork these tools and cause problems.

Work within the limits of what the tools can do, take your time, don't force them to do more than they can do, and be safe.

There's NOTHING really all that wrong with the Harbor Freight Tool brands ... it's the buyer not using the tools properly 95% of the time.

If it's a 60 PSI pressure pot ... limit yourself to 45 PSI and no further ... it shouldn't take much more than 30 - 45 PSI anyway to do what you are wanting to do!

harleyhaynes

Howdy,

So, I've done a moderate amount of casting with only Silmar and optimism, with varying results. Now I feel like it's finally time to break down and buy myself a pressure pot to minimize bubbles and improve my success rate/quality.

I am aware that some people stand by the Harbor Freight option, but I have heard too many horror stories about explosions/etc. I want to get something good that will help me to cast (mostly) pen blanks (partially with a vertical casting kit), and would really appreciate some advice. I saw good references to CA technologies, though I found a review that suggested that the paint pots do not work sufficiently for casting in the long-term. I saw here (C.A. Technologies, Resin Casting Pots, Mold Casting Pots, Pressure Leak Testing) the 51-201C C.A. Technologies 2.5 Gallon Resin (Mold) Casting Pot. Is that sufficient for my purposes? Is it more than I need for casting pen blanks? What would the recommended air compressor be?

Basically, I am willing to spend a premium to ensure safety and that I can use the tool for the long-term, but I do not want to pay extra money for an identical product that's just rebranded to say it covers resin. I'd love to hear a recommendation of a place to buy online that takes into account the quality, price, and shipping. I know there may be specific posts earlier that covered some of this, but I couldn't find anything that quite answered all of my questions, so I'd appreciate some sage advice.

Thank you,
-Will

Curios.. does anyone have actual evidence of these HF pots or any for that matter, failing under pressure? I am going o get into casting and would like to understand the safety aspects of these things a little better.

Curly

Curios.. does anyone have actual evidence of these HF pots or any for that matter, failing under pressure? I am going o get into casting and would like to understand the safety aspects of these things a little better.

Here are three incidents from searching this forum. There could be others out on other forums etc.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/my-new-hf-pressure-pot-just-blew-almost-killed-me-63203/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43...ot-failure-my-wife-almost-became-widow-51588/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/blew-up-44180/

Top Bottom