Screws for casting molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrashmanS

I am going to make some blank molds from 1/2 cutting board material. What screws should I use for maximum life when screwing and unscrewing to ends? Looks like a lot people use pocket screws. What length and type do you use?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JohnU

I've always used whatever I had on hand that would fit. The last time I made some I used flat head stainless screws that were long enough to hold it. Be sure to pre drill smaller holes. Those cutting boards will split out. Since the flat head screws slowly dug in to the plastic mold ends over use, I would suggest round head screws so they don't dig in. Also, if your cutting board isn't smooth, sand it smooth first or you will need silicone around all of your edges. My first molds were from a textured board and leaked around the edges, not to mention it was harder to de-mold the resin block. Good luck!

Jadey

I am going to make some blank molds from 1/2 cutting board material. What screws should I use for maximum life when screwing and unscrewing to ends? Looks like a lot people use pocket screws. What length and type do you use?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I just used 1-5/8 drywall screws and countersunk them. Worked great and I can take the mold apart should things get stuck....

John

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom