A save!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I have been jealously hoarding 3 feather blanks from John U for a while now. Last Tuesday I decided to turn them. They were all from the Jr. Gent II series.

The first five turned great. The last one, a top blank, blew out at the last minute. 1/3 of the blank was nothing but raw feathers. The feathers weren't damaged, but there was absolutely no resin on that 1/3 of the blank. Let me be very clear here: it was definitely operator error...there was noting wrong with the blank.

Soooooo........I put the blank aside, and later that evening as I was walking by it I wondered if I could recast it. So I mixed up about an ounce of PR with 2 drops of MEKP, put the blank in my ResinSaver mold by Charlie that fits the Jr. Gents perfectly, and poured in the resin. Put the mold in the pressure pot and let it sit for 24 hours at 50 psi.

Took it out last Thursday. Still felt tacky. Let it sit until today, and it was ready.

I turned it................and it is BEAUTIFUL. I will consider this one a SAVE. I've included pics, so you be the judge.

It was the top blank that blew out.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_480x320.jpg
    IMG_0001_480x320.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0002_480x320.jpg
    IMG_0002_480x320.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I think the quality of the initial blank helped a lot! Thank you John U!!

JohnU

You did a perfect job saving that blank, and your pen turnned out beautiful. Your fit and finish look to be perfect and definitely one to be proud of. I had the easy part, you brought it to life! So, thank you!

Top Bottom