resin and wood pendant problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scotty

I tried to make a pendant by turning a rosewood blank and drilling out the middle. Poured in PR and let dry. As I turned and shaped the pendant, the rosewood ring turned loose from the PR. What should/could I have done to make a pendant with a ring of wood around a PR center? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgio13

Scotty, I am no expert concerning resin, but I believe PR shrinks as it cures, maybe that's why it separated from the rosewood. As far as I know, the makers of worthless wood blanks use Alumilite, so that might be your problem. Hope this helps,

Bill

robutacion

Yes, the problem was the oil in the wood, PR doesn't shrink as much as some people think, what you most cases see in a separation, is the wood shrinking away why...?? because the wood was not totally moisture free when cast with the PR. PR as it cures, produces a fair amount of heat, if the wood has any moisture on it, it will some immediate shrinkage that, can increase as time passes by, why..??? because if wood is not totally dry and moisture free, it tends to shrink as it dries and reaches equilibrium to its environment.

This is not a rule set in cement, there are always exception to any rule and in this case, it has a lot to do with the type of wood, wood shrinkage will the same regardless if cast in PR or Polyurethane (Alumilite).

Now, specifically to your problem, if you are considering to cast some more of that wood, make sure you put it in an oven at 80° celsius for about 6 to 8 hours, have everything ready so that you get the casts done before the wood gets cold but, do not pours the resin immediately after the wood comes out of the oven, the ideal time is when you hold the wood and you just feel some warmth.

Oily wood needs to get its oils crystalised by "roasting" the wood, oil gets neutralized that way and therefore, offers a much better adhesion surfaces.

You should "always" use very thin CA in the joint of the wood and resin after the blank is clean, that will guarantee a better adhesion and, if there is any small gap in between the 2 materials, the thin CA will soak through it and seal the deal. You can CA the resin piece that to its place and re-finish...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

Scotty

You are right Mitch. All great info. I did glue the ring back on and turn it. Worked out ok, seems tight to the PR. I finished everything with CA. I want to experiment a little more. Thanks again for everyone's comments and help.

Scotty

Proof!!

So, here it is....thanks for the help. The other pic is some other pendants I made and wrapped for the "sweetie".

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 159

robutacion

So, here it is....thanks for the help. The other pic is some other pendants I made and wrapped for the "sweetie".

Yeah, those pendants are sweet, particularly the ones where you center casted a dry pod in the resin, they come out very good...!

Oh, by the way, we have a saying here on IAP that goes like this, "no pics?, didn't happen!":wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom