Which resin to use....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gothycdesigns

So I have seen posts and read else where on the net about creating your own resin pen blanks. who has done this and what is a good acrylic resin to use? I've got a sample kit of XXX36 from Vagabond Corp. in Warmer Springs, CA.

I have some clay from my other sculpting supplies and thought to cast it as to creat a blank mold for pouring the resin into. I'd make the mold from GI-1000 RTV silicone by Silicones Inc.

Any good references or sites or pages to read over to get an idea would be great. And if anyone wants to PM the details to chat abput also would be great if time available.

Thanks for reading.

Gothyc Designs
aka Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ray,

I use and really like Alumilite urethane resin. It is expensive but it does not stink up my shop, is less toxic, and turns much better than polyester resin. Most on here like polyester resin becasue it is cheap. Either will work, it just depends on what your priorities are.

Skye

And there's no need to make your own casting molds when PVC pipe is so cheap. PR will pop out pretty easy as will casting resin. Alumilite doesnt shrink like the others, so it's not quite as easy, so I've heard.

Crushed velvet? Well, I dont think it'll work to just pack some into a tube and cast it. They do make crushed velvet blanks. If you want to make your own, it'll look totaly different but you may be able to wrap the tubes and cast them ala snake skin pens. You may also be able to make is like people do the denim pens, but I dont know how that's done exactly...

gothycdesigns

So I would pour the resin into a example 1" piece of PVC say 6-7" long. Cap one end. Pour in and let cure, then pop it out. I guess that could work. But resin usually heat cure so is there a high probability that it would cure to the PVC? Do I use a mold release. I do alot of castings of other thing i make and the resins seem to generate a decent amount of heat. Anyone got one permanantly stuck or as I write this, cut the PVC in half length wise, tape together and separate when resin is cured?? I can feel my mind working on this.

Ray

Charles

No problem with the heat. Remember most of your hot water pipes are pvc. No, I've never had a problem with having to use release products on the PVC. If you are using PR also remember, the amount of heat generated is directly related to the amount of catalyst you are using. I know that too much catalyst can melt the snake skin into nothing. And PR will harden over time with exposure to air. So you can cut back on the catalyst and increase hardening time and decrease heat build up. Hope this helps.

gothycdesigns

I've heard of a resin called EPR. Not exactly sure the full name. Has anyone worked with it. I have some ideas for turnig some bottle toppers in a resin. I would like to make them to fit either a Berea kit or from Arizona Silouhette kits, which might be of PSI. So in general I want to be able to create look I want. Who does this on a regular basis now after having alot of experience with wood?

I guess I can look thru the gallery to see who does what and contact those for further info if they accept contacts from other members. Anymore ideas, would be great to hear if you can share.

Thanks,
Ray
~Gothyc Designs

smoky10

EPR refers to the castings of one particular person, Ed Davidson,Eds Polyester Resins, also known as yoyospin.He makes castings for pens, bottle stoppers, and yoyos.

its_virgil

Originally posted by gothycdesigns
<br />
So I have seen posts and read else where on the net about creating your own resin pen blanks. who has done this and what is a good acrylic resin to use? I've got a sample kit of XXX36 from Vagabond Corp. in Warmer Springs, CA.

I have some clay from my other sculpting supplies and thought to cast it as to creat a blank mold for pouring the resin into. I'd make the mold from GI-1000 RTV silicone by Silicones Inc.

Any good references or sites or pages to read over to get an idea would be great. And if anyone wants to PM the details to chat abput also would be great if time available.

Thanks for reading.

Gothyc Designs
aka Ray
Look in the library here, in the files area of the Y! PenTurners Group, and in the articles at http://www.penmakersguild.com for several excellent articles on casting resins. Most all you need to know to get started will be in those articles.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

gothycdesigns

I saw the articles today and some other videos I have saved to file. Also after reading further I realized the "EPR" was of Ed Davidson. He turns some nice work and hopefully some day I'll get to be that good. I'm drooling over some of his turns.

Thanks agian,

Ray

gothycdesigns

So there is a Micheals close to me and got to thinking to check them out for casting resin. They have it, only in the pint jugs. The only pigment they have with it, is a 3 primary color set and the catalyst which is only 1 oz.. Dye colors are Red, Blue, Yellow. Actually they do have a larger size of the resin, like 32 oz.

Anyhow, got to roaming around and looking, the wheels turning in my head. this may sound stupid, but has anyone thought if the dyes in the baking isle would work. Like what they use for frosting? Would this not mix correctly? I also wondered about the powdered Tempera paint. I know it is type of acrylic paint, more of the easier water cleanup, but mixing this in before the catalyst, do you think it could work. I'm just looking alt. materials to try things out that ion the long run could save money. But I also understand to do it right, then I may need the right stuff as mentioned to get from artstuf.com.

Also I have heard the or read in the resin articles about pearlescent. I saw in the drawing section there are inks for like quill type pens for galligraphy. Is this the same pearlescent additives? Or is it something else I need to be looking at as well?

Thanks for anymore input.

Ray
~Gothyc Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom