?Repairing a mold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have several of the Resinsaver molds that have the tube plug as an integral part of the mold that have broken off and been lost. Has anyone been successful at repairing this on this mold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'm taking that since there are no responses that I should just trash the damaged mold and buy a new one since none of the cavities haves both plugs for the tubes?

Curly

Once they break off, reattaching is usually unsuccessful. Sometimes when they crack you can put some silicone (the one that smells like vinegar) and it will stick it back down. Your other long shot is to get a tube a little smaller than the plug, sharpen the edge, and with a drill press, cut a hole through the mould and use a stopper. I have to admit I haven't tried it so don't know if it will work.

Brian G

Pete's suggestion will work. I had a self-made mold that the tube plug ripped.

There was enough of the plug remaining that I mounted a tube, pushed the tube through the mold, and used a stopper as a plug. Just be careful that the stopper doesn't tear the end of the mold.

lorbay

I did exactly like Pete said as my stoppers broke off. I then purchased some stoppers from Ptownsubbie.
Lin

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It appears to have worked. I took a tube from a full size Gent, sanded the edge to sharpen a bit and it pushed right through. I'll try casting in them this weekend, hopefully they won't tear.

Top Bottom