release agent for wooden mold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timben

I am making some silicone master molds out of wood. Has anyone tried any realese agents other than wrapping the wood in plastic wrap? I was thinking about filling the mold with molten parafin and then pouring it out to leave a coating of wax on it before filling it with silicone. I tried spray starch, but it would not adhear to the wood.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker56

Tim,
Coat the wood with a thin layer of paste wax (either Johnson's or Butcher's) from the hardware store, let dry, then buff. I have had success with that, making my silicone molds.
Richard Greenwald

You can use a variety of waxes on your master plugs. Just don't use a silicone wax. Silicone likes to bond to silicone. You can use the waxes Richard mentioned. You can also use Mcguair's #9 mold release wax. It can be found at some boat and yacht supply/repair stores. Mother's pure carnuba car wax also works. You have to buff on several coats. If you have a hobby shop that carries mold making supplies they may carry spray cans of Ease Release 200 or 205, or Mann's Ease Release. They may even carry a parafilm.

Good luck.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Butchers paste wax is what I've been using. Rub it on, buff it out. Works
fine and I can get it at any local hardware store.. if I ever needed to.
I've got a 30 yr old can I'm still working on..

sbell111

Butchers paste wax is what I've been using. Rub it on, buff it out. Works
fine and I can get it at any local hardware store.. if I ever needed to.
I've got a 30 yr old can I'm still working on..

That's funny. Just the other day, Cathy was teasing me because I was buffing out some scratches on a bottle stopper using some compound and car polish that I bought in teh early '80s. It worked just as good as Novus and I bet that it cost me lots less way back then.

Fred

... I've got a 30 yr old can I'm still working on..

Dawn ... I wonder how he takes so long to drink his beer? I would just about be through my 1,000,000 in 30 years or so!

You heard about the butcher that backed into his meat grinder----

Got a little BEHIND in his work.

Well I just gotta stick my neck out here ED, and say, "Thank goodness at least he wasn't making hot dogs!"

Yea, and I know someone else is gonna think, "Hummmm, wonder how many that will make?"

OK, I'm done now!

Hurry up! Cav jump in anytime and help me escape before I get myself in trouble, er, more trouble here!

cnirenberg

Dawn Well I just gotta stick my neck out here ED, and say, "Thank goodness at least he wasn't making hot dogs!"

Yea, and I know someone else is gonna think, "Hummmm, wonder how many that will make?"

OK, I'm done now!

Hurry up! Cav jump in anytime and help me escape before I get myself in trouble, er, more trouble here!

I will never eat Vienna Sausages again. I may even go vegetatrian....nah

Top Bottom