Recommendation for Vacuum pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

I just purchased a Hold Fast Stabiliser kit and am using it with my pancake compressor. Needless to say, the compressor has to run for quite a bit to keep the vacuum up.

I am therefore looking for a vacuum generator and would like some guidance.

I see that Amazon has 2 Robinair 3 CFM pumps - single stage - $108, 2 stage - $155.

Does the dual stage make that much of a difference in this application?

Thanks

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
According to Curtis (Mesquiteman}-no You can only pull so much volume through the fitting internal diameters and according to his testing there was no need for the 2 sage pump. You cant pull enough volume to make it worth the difference.

Jim Burr

Banned
Hi,

I just purchased a Hold Fast Stabiliser kit and am using it with my pancake compressor. Needless to say, the compressor has to run for quite a bit to keep the vacuum up.

I am therefore looking for a vacuum generator and would like some guidance.

I see that Amazon has 2 Robinair 3 CFM pumps - single stage - $108, 2 stage - $155.

Does the dual stage make that much of a difference in this application?

Thanks

Steve

Those are great prices...IMHO! I might have to snaggle one of those!

I have a Gast 1023. They come in multiple versions, CFM based. I have a 10CFM and it does everything I want it to with stabilizing and as a lathe vac pump.
Make sure you get the model number and the voltage (110 or 220) and hertz (60 for US) that you need.

Jim Burr

Banned
Thanks for the advise. Think I will go with the Robinair single stage.
Remember that the CFM is how fast is vac's air out, just a better pull. I used a fridge pump that pulled 3cfm...worked great for about 3 treatments. I use a Gast now:wink::mad-tongue:
And that Robinair is a great buy!

Last edited:

plano_harry

Robinair is a good brand and that is a good price.

I bought the often maligned HF 2 stage 3 cfm on a 25% off coupon. That thing shocked me when it pulled a full 29" in less than a minute! The chamber didn't have a lot of air in it and Curtis's seals are very good. My air filter took care of the mist.

I will add that if you are going to use it on a lathe CFM will help. When you get a catch, it recovers faster. I have a 10CFM because I also use it for vacuum forming plastics.

sschering

I have a pair of old Robinair 15101B 2 stage pumps I got at a yard sale for $15 each

They tested at 50 micron according the HVAC tech that sold em to me... (I'm at 800ft altitude).

hcpens

Picked up a Robinai, from a 2nd hand store, very happy with it. I change the oil after every two or so pulls and have had no issues.

orlandopens

What about hand pumps? I have a small chamber that I made using a high quality hand pump. I pull and hold 28 to 29 hg at 150' amsl. Haven't been real happy with the results however. But I am using Pentacryl (Sorry Tex, but you were on Christmas vaca and I was experimenting). Will it work if I can pull and hold 28-29hg? Will Cactus Juice make a big difference?

Top Bottom