Quiet Vacuum Pump options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Any recommendations for a quiet vacuum pump for stabilizing? Quiet as in you can have a conversation while it is running? I can't find ratings for the HF and import Robinair models. Prefer to spend under $150 if possible but my wife sleeps above where it will be running so budget can be flexible to keep peace lol.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

You could always build an insulated box for the pump to run in. That would help cut down any noise. However, my dad had one that was quieter than most air compressors when it was running.

More4dan

Long tubing and move it outside. Keeping the wife happy is more important than the neighbors. The pump does require cooling so a box might not be a great solution if you need to run for an extended time. .

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

southernclay

Long tubing and move it outside. Keeping the wife happy is more important than the neighbors. The pump does require cooling so a box might not be a great solution if you need to run for an extended time. .

The long tubing is a great point. Even just a few feet can get it in an area that would work well. Thanks

Brian G

I have the Robinair 15310 and I don't think it's loud. I can run it and work in the shop with the TV on and the vacuum pump doesn't drown the TV.

My basement shop is partly below the bedroom, and I don't notice it running at night anymore than I do the furnace or AC.

I set the pump on a mat on the floor to reduce vibration sounds, too.

southernclay

I have the Robinair 15310 and I don't think it's loud. I can run it and work in the shop with the TV on and the vacuum pump doesn't drown the TV.

My basement shop is partly below the bedroom, and I don't notice it running at night anymore than I do the furnace or AC.

I set the pump on a mat on the floor to reduce vibration sounds, too.

Thanks Brian, exactly what I'm looking for. Did it come with all you need to connect tubing to?

I have a Robinair too, it's not very noisy at all and a great choice not only for how quiet it runs but also the quality. My cheapo I bought on ebay isn't even worth mentioning compared to it.

Mach4

I don't have personal experience but builders doing fiberglass, Kevlar and carbon fiber epoxy layups for rockets, models, molds and especially composite aircraft very often use a "cheap little sucker" (aka refrigerator compressor) for vacuum bagging. As you know refrigerators are quite quiet.

Here's one write up - James Bodnar's Vacuum System

bodnar1.jpg

Here's a link to the original writeup - The Cheap Little Sucker

Top Bottom