Questions about vacuum pump and stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thud 54963

I have a 2 stage 3 cfm vacuum pump. It pulls a vacuum of about -27 mmHg.

I will typically run the vacuum about 24 to 36 hours to get to a point where I have no bubbles. I usually stabilize buckeye or maple burl. Is this typical of the length of time it takes others?

Also, because of my anal retentive nature I turn the pump off at night. Am I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

If you are turning the pump off and on, the vacuum is probably not maintained for 24 to 36 hours. I let mine run over night, ispecially if I start a batch later in the day.

Other than that, reads as similar to what I do.

Rifleman1776

I pull only 23 inches and for about 30 min. to an hour. Get good results with most woods. But, buckeye seems to me a possibly difficult wood to stable. A few woods I will not try. Those include anything in the rosewood family, Osage Orange, Red Cedar and/or other exceptionally hard or oily woods. Most wouldn't benefit anyway.

Dieseldoc

vac chamber

With my vac pot will hold vac for 24 hours with out having to keep pump on. I start out running it until the bobbles are gone which is about one - two hours with maple, oak, walnut any other punkie wood.
Vac pressure is 29 and after 24 hours it still 29-mmHG. I have even restarted the pump and gauge will stay the same with out pump on or off. I believe there may be a leak in the system that caused lost of vac.

I have found one of the major leak item is the shut off valve, as some pot have cheap ball valves, I changed my uot before using it the first time.

Top Bottom