Question about stabilizing with cactus juice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This was just a comparison between using Vacuum and using pressure with the same type of resin. In my system I go up to 5000 PSI and only using vacuum to remove air from the wood and fill the vessel with resin.
The system Curtis are using is for vacuum only.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hi in 20 plus years i have tried to use every type of wood exotic and domestic I could get my hands on and only very recently have I started stabilizing wood that i have saved because it was to hard to turn with any good amount of success and my inventory was getting out of control. The only woods i stabilize are spalted and soft and punky wood or very open grain woods that tend to sand unevenly any dense burls or rosewoods you are wasting your time in my opinion. I guess a good rule is that if you can turn it with out tear outs and can sand it to a nice polish its not worth the extra expense put a nice
ca finish on it and call it good.This is only my opinion and everybody has one lol

I have turned a fair amount of Amboyna Burl and I think it would be very hard to get 100 % penetration of your stabilizing product since it is a pretty dense burl and I would be concerned that it may make the surface brittle and prone to possible chipping on gun grips

Last edited:
Top Bottom