Question about compressors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Probably. Most people cast between 30-60PSI. If your compressor output is in that range, then you should be good. It may run for a bit to pressurize the pot. Airbrush compressors are low volume, ~0.5CFM @ rated pressure, so if your pot is 3 gallons, it might take a minute to pump to the desired pressure.

stonepecker

any compressor will work as long as it can pump to a desired pressure.

Some airbrush compressors do not get enough pressure or are straight feed.
Some are not rated over 50psi. Be sure to have a gauge that reads the pot only.
I know one person that casts and has no compressor. He uses his air tank and fills it at his friends house (Yes, I am the friend) 10 gallon tank and he attaches the tank with a hose that has a separate close off handle. The tank may be pressurized to 120-130psi. But he can load the pressure pot slowly to the desired pressure he wants. Usually gets about three times before he is back for more air. (and a beer)

robutacion

I know one person that casts and has no compressor. He uses his air tank and fills it at his friends house (Yes, I am the friend) 10 gallon tank and he attaches the tank with a hose that has a separate close off handle. The tank may be pressurized to 120-130psi. But he can load the pressure pot slowly to the desired pressure he wants. Usually gets about three times before he is back for more air. (and a beer)

Oh yeah, I like that deal...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

chartle

I've seen someone use a smaller paint sprayer from HF and use the yellow $10 HF 12 v tire inflator to fill it.

An air brush compressor though is going to take a long time to fill a 2.5 gal paint pot but may still work as long as you use longer setting resin.

Last edited:

JimB

Hopefully he is bringing the beer...

PatrickR

Do you have other potential uses? Inflating tires, blowing dust etc? If so go as big as you can afford or have space for. Airbrush style compressors are very limiting.

MRDucks2

I used a Portable Cable twin tank 4 gallon oil filled compressor. DeWalt also has a similar one but a dry compressor and more expensive. I believe Lowe's or Home Depot has one branded Husky that is similar in being oil filled and price. Dollar for dollar you should be able to get more CFM with and oil filled unit that a dry unit and they tend to be quieter. I have had both and will stick with oil going forward. Every Time I decide to spend the $350 on a 25 gallon oil filled vertical at harbor freight I like, I realize the 4 gallon is still meeting all of my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Rounder

If you get a regular compressor, try California Air Tools. They have some low decibel compressors that you can actually talk and hear even when standing close to the compressor when it is running. I love mine.

jcjc

i have an airbrush compessor and it's great for airbrushing. i wouldn't consider using it for casting since the cfm is so low which also means you'd have to use a slower setting resin.
i have a porter cable 6 gal pancake compressor which performs well for casting but it's ridiculously loud. i bought and highly recommend a cali air tools compressor. night and day difference in how quiet it is and was the same price as the PC with about the same specs.

MRDucks2

I looked at the California Air Tools compressors mentioned and would give one a shot I believe, even if it is dry. The 70db on a 2hp 5cfm machine for less than $300 is pretty impressive. 2hp is about the highest you can get out of a 120 volt compressor, regardless of what the specs say. From there I try to get as close to 5cfm as I can afford. Tank size buys you time between compressor cycles and pressure drops, which is important for multiple tools at the same time, cut off wheels, needle guns and regular sprayers, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

jcjc

the Cali Air Tools I bought is a 1hp, 4.6 gallon twin tank model for 180. Ordered online at Home Depot and picked it up a few days later. It's more than suitable for casting and as I mentioned, very quiet which is nice but may not matter for some people. If you plan on using it to run air tools then I'd go for something larger but again, that depends on the specific situation.

Top Bottom