Pump for Silmar 41 Can

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fordwakeman

I am using 1 gallon can of Silmar 41. Has anyone found a pump that works to measure, similar to the ones for Allumilite? I called the vendor and they don't have anything.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

one gallon cans is not that heavy, is there a reason you need a pump?? Sometimes people have medical reasons for things and we do not want to be insensitive to this. You simply pour into a cup that is sitting on scale. Am I missing something??? Or get some clean empty quart cans and pour off into those for easier handling. There is no measuring like with alumilite. The amount of hardener is determined by the amount of resin pour, thus the scale.

These should work. They are designed for epoxy.

Search: epoxy pumps

RetiredGuy23

Because it is easier to pour small amounts and because only a small amount of resin is at risk at any one time, I decant my 1 gallon can into smaller squeeze bottles.

Fordwakeman

Do you have a particular squeeze bottle you use? the reason I ask is I know some plastics don't play nice with PR.

Fordwakeman

one gallon cans is not that heavy, is there a reason you need a pump?? Sometimes people have medical reasons for things and we do not want to be insensitive to this. You simply pour into a cup that is sitting on scale. Am I missing something??? Or get some clean empty quart cans and pour off into those for easier handling. There is no measuring like with alumilite. The amount of hardener is determined by the amount of resin pour, thus the scale.

I'm just trying to reduce the mess around the spout when I pour.

Terredax

Banned
We were told hand pumps/dispensers for PR aren't available. The reason is the resin degrades the plastics and the pump becomes inoperable.
It is also exposed to the air and can begin to gel.

For the gallon cans, we poked a hole at opposite sides of the metal plug. One to pour through and the other was a vent. We used 5/16" holes and it gives a nice stream to pour and a quick wipe with a rag around the threads makes it easy to re=open later.

On the 5 gallon buckets, we used a valve to decant a horizontal bucket.

On the drums, we had a stainless crank pump. The pump was removed at the end of the day and placed into another drum of acetone to prevent the resin from gelling inside the pump. It came out of the acetone almost completely clean.

Curly

Would you have any links to the valves that were used on the 5 gallon pails? A few years ago I looked high and low for taps to fit the buckets and had no luck.

jttheclockman

Now this is a tip many do not follow but there is a right way and a wrong way to pour liquids out of cans. I have no idea how you are doing things but try watching this little video and maybe it will makes thing a bit easier. Learned this when I use to change the oil in my cars back in the 70''s and on up. I looked for a little video figuring someone has to have this and sure enough found this one. I hope it works. You pour the can just the opposite of what you normally think is correct. They explain why. We are a full service forum site:)

https://youtu.be/2gfjCncKZj8

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I looked for a little video figuring someone has to have this and sure enough found this one. I hope it works. You pour the can just the opposite of what you normally think is correct. They explain why. We are a full service forum site:)

I actually learned something!

You never changed your oil in your car:) I use to and this may show my age a bit but buy the cans and use the funnel that you stuck into the can and then they switched to plastic bottles. You learn real quick when spilling those bottles in a car or the oil is all over the rocker covers and manifold and smoking and what a mess. Of course then they have the funnels but still you would get spill back. That tip applies to all bottles and cans. :):)

MikeinSC

I use 1 gallon hdpe iced tea pitchers from Walmart to pour from. It's frosted with red lid. The problem doesn't react to it.

Terredax

Banned
Would you have any links to the valves that were used on the 5 gallon pails? A few years ago I looked high and low for taps to fit the buckets and had no luck.

It's been a few years since I've worked at that place. I don't know if the valves came from the resin supplier or another source. They didn't fit directly to the lid, there was an adapter. The lid had male threads as did the valve.

If you have the means to tap pipe threads, I did find something that might work. You might just be able to use a threaded nipple to cut the threads, since it's a plastic lid.

RetiredGuy23

Yes, I have had the pr eat through some plastics. From Amazon, I bought a 6 pack of 8oz. condiment squeeze bottles for $10. So far, the pr has not eaten through; but, the top does get messy and hard to open.

navyjoe

No idea I could learn something so new and yet feel so dumb for not figuring this out on my own. I have hated the Silmar 41 cans for a long time and now I realize the whole thing was operator error.

Thanks for sharing

Now this is a tip many do not follow but there is a right way and a wrong way to pour liquids out of cans. I have no idea how you are doing things but try watching this little video and maybe it will makes thing a bit easier. Learned this when I use to change the oil in my cars back in the 70''s and on up. I looked for a little video figuring someone has to have this and sure enough found this one. I hope it works. You pour the can just the opposite of what you normally think is correct. They explain why. We are a full service forum site:)

jttheclockman

No idea I could learn something so new and yet feel so dumb for not figuring this out on my own. I have hated the Silmar 41 cans for a long time and now I realize the whole thing was operator error.

Thanks for sharing

Glad to be of help and welcome to the site. Lots of info flows around here. We are a full service web site:biggrin:

Top Bottom