Pressure pot wing nut wrench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrashmanS

I need to make a wrench to snug down the wing nuts on my recently converted Sharpe pressure pot. The ears are not tall enough to use a screwdriver or similar. Any ideas or pictures to help me out?
867a7a55d79ee13f6e5f2053c1da5f2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, I'll go take a pict!

Alas... It has been borrowed..

Found a pic..

Not pretty, but has worked great! A long socket, a metal bar attached with some bolts/nuts. two bolts attached to the bar. All coated with JB weld. IT allowed me to turn the wing-nuts of the pressure pot under a much higher torque. As I said not pretty, but cost me the wrench and socket... 3 yrs later, still works.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

Charlie_W

Scott,

The best thing is a piece of wood with a groove/dado that will fit down over the wings.
I want to caution against over tightening the clamps. Over tightening could cause clamp failure or damage to the pot, lid or clamp brackets and lead to an unsafe situation.

Be Safe!

CrashmanS

Scott,

The best thing is a piece of wood with a groove/dado that will fit down over the wings.
I want to caution against over tightening the clamps. Over tightening could cause clamp failure or damage to the pot, lid or clamp brackets and lead to an unsafe situation.

Be Safe!
Sounds like a simple solution. Thanks. I don't need to wrench it down alot, just a little more than my fingers can put on it. As tight as my fingers go, it leaks around d the seal. It just needs a little more.

Skie_M

I'ld create a push stick (like what you use with a table saw or band saw) and cut a slot in the business end just big enough to fit on that wingnut with just a little wobble ... that should more than suffice for your needs. It's literally a wooden wrench! :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Scott,

Be Safe!
Sounds like a simple solution. Thanks. I don't need to wrench it down alot, just a little more than my fingers can put on it. As tight as my fingers go, it leaks around d the seal. It just needs a little more.

I also use a bit of "plumber's grease" EVERY run. Has made a big difference.

I'll look for the link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wm-Harve...38817&wl11=online&wl12=22857114&wl13=&veh=sem

Others are fine also. I started using this every run, and it made a big difference. Just a bit on your finger, rub it arouns the seal, and good to go.

Last edited:

CrashmanS

Scott,

Be Safe!

I also use a bit of "plumber's grease" EVERY run. Has made a big difference.

I'll look for the link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wm-Harve...38817&wl11=online&wl12=22857114&wl13=&veh=sem

Others are fine also. I started using this every run, and it made a big difference. Just a bit on your finger, rub it arouns the seal, and good to go.
I thought about some sort of grease. Part of my issue too is this is a found pot with a 12-15 year old seal.

robutacion

I need to make a wrench to snug down the wing nuts on my recently converted Sharpe pressure pot. The ears are not tall enough to use a screwdriver or similar. Any ideas or pictures to help me out?

G'day, I have shown here in one of my games (not sure which one) where I asked to identify the item in the pic and that was a wooden handle I made very roughly to assist me to tighten the pressure pot wing nut bolts.

As other mentioned, a grove cut in the piece of wood to fit over the wing nuts (partially) and about 7" long is all you need, the longer it is the more torque you will put into those bolts.

One thing that you need to consider is to buy another seal for that pot, they are on sale on eBay, at that age, the rubber would had lost its flexibility and therefore making it much harder to seal.

Another important detail is to lubricate the seal and pot faces that will be in contact, vaseline is good, I use a Leather lube preservative gel that I had and tested to see if it would react with the rubber, it didn't so I use the smaller brush used to apply it over the boots to quickly lubricate so slightly the contact surfaces and that will seal the pot using much less torque.

After I used this tool, I decided that I needed something faster to tighten and loosen those nuts, I was smart enough to use a screw gun I had (Hilty) that had a good clutch for the torque, I adjusted it so that it would stop spinning at a certain torque level to prevent to overtighten of those bolts and therefore damaging them.

It all worked good until that screw gun died on me after 15 years of use, I requested a quote for repair and I would cost more that buy a new screw gun of a less expensive brand than Hilty.

I did not buy a new screw gun for a while and decided to use an old wrench socket and an extension rod, cut a groove into the middle of the socket and with the use of a wrench like the one of James, I got the tool made and working however, not as fast as the screwdriver gun, I started to notice that I was overtighten the bolts far too much, using the wrench is not easy to control the torque so and in not time, I had the bolts and housing damaged to which I had to tap a bigger size thread, enough to clean the old thread and not weaken the housing too much, I then matched some bolts with the thread needed, cut the heads and replaced them with the wing nuts from the older bolts, put some Teflon grease on the threads and everything is working back to almost new.

I now have another screwdriver gun for this purpose, again...!:biggrin:

I hope this helps...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom