Pressure pot test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Linarestribe

Hey guys,
My tank has a slow leak and I was just wondering if submerging the tank in water is a good test for leaks. Would the gauge be ok under water? Would the bubbles be big enough to see? Is the soap test better? I guess I should fill it with a rock and water first.

After the leak is found, is plumbers tape the only way to fix or are there other tricks of the trade?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Jorge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dish soap and water in a spray bottle is your best option. Spray ALL of the fittings and look for bubbles. If there is a leak, it WILL show up as a bubble.

tkbarron

I am having similar trouble with my HF pot and it may be the safety valve which is now consistently opening at 50 PSI.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am having similar trouble with my HF pot and it may be the safety valve which is now consistently opening at 50 PSI.

If the safety valve is going off at 50 psi, consider it a good thing and a warning. NO WAY IN HELL would I pressurize a cheap Chinese bomb waiting to happen over 50 psi! I had one blow, albeit, it was most likely my fault, but once you have one blow, after you change your shorts, you will be gun shy to go over 30! Of course, I would not know since immediately after mine blew, I took both of them out back and crushed them with my Bobcat and bought 2 good ones!

tkbarron

Damn, and I was hoping for twice the performance with twice the pressure :)

Actually, I was hoping to use the pot as a dryer for my sandblaster, running 60+ PSI. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom