Pressure Pot Suggestion Please - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 1

More than big enough.

I got my pot from a dumpster at a paint manufacturer in the late 80's I was doing work for. It had no name plate on it but would have been North American made.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 41

I remember those pressure (paint) pots being quite common 60+ years ago. Every commercial and domestic home painter used one.

A lot of them would have been dumpstered ... haven't seen any in use for many years and I guess that's because commercial painting technology has changed a lot.

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default vacuum chamber recomendation

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Gallon-St...72.m2749.l2649

I have used this about 4 times now with cactus juice and it has worked flawlessly. I did have some shipping damage, but lab 1st handled it immediately and at no cost to me to make it right.

Cheapest kit I could find with an actual vacuum pump and I can reliably reach -29.5" Hg with no issue. With the 3CFM pump this can be done in about 5-10 minutes depending on what shape the worthless wood is in.

The out gassing of the material takes MUCH longer ~ 1-2 hours for it to stop bubbling.

I follow this up with 2-3 hours in a toaster oven at ~225 to cure the cactus juice. After trimming/breaking stabilized wood to desired sizes I put into molds and preheat to about 200F. Mix alumilite at ambient with multiple colors and pour into preheated mold. Put in pressure pot at 50psig for about 1-2 hours depending on which alumilite I use. The preheating is huge for a proper cure and no bubbles (at least for me anyway).

Just wanted to share my two cents.

See the two pictures attached as examples of my first and second try.
No bubbles or voids realized when turning.
Attached Thumbnails
20171022_130115.jpg   20171022_193647.jpg   20171022_193653.jpg   20171025_100901.jpg   20171025_100848.jpg  

Old 11-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mal,

Depending upon what you are planning to do, you can probably get by without a pressure pot for a while and maybe forever. Assuming that you decide to go with urethane resin Alumilite has quite a few videos on its website that are helpful with respect to taming the dreaded bubble.

I have also found this reference to be quite helpful. While it is geared more toward the robotics hobbyist and is at least a couple of years old it is a very good primer on silicone mold making and casting resins along with how they can be modified.

Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 41

Thank you, Nick.

Thank you, Bill.

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
It seems that more and more of our members are learning to cast blanks.

At some point I would like to join in that activity.

I have not looked around seriously for a pressure pot, just asking for suggestions as to what other people use.

One or two of the hardware/tool stores that I frequent sell "paint pots" with a gauge on top, a lid seal, and sturdy clamps. . Is this a pressure pot ?

Another question I have relates to the use of pressure for casting as opposed to vacuum.

My intuition seems to be telling me that vacuum is what you need for casting as opposed to pressure. . Isn't vacuum the way to get bubbles out ?

I do understand the difference between pressure and vacuum and worked with both for many years in my career as an experimental physicist.

In spite of that, as I consider doing my own casting I would intuitively go for vacuum.

Happy to hear what others think.
I use the harbor freight paint pot, with little rework it works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Mike Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads