pressure pot completed but casting resin question - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 62

Default pressure pot completed but casting resin question

OK first of all I would like to say thank you to all of you who have answered my questions..I startrd putting this time machine/pressure pot together last night at 9.00 pm..by 10.00 pm I realized I was still missing 2 fittings. (2)3/8 to 1/4 bushings that I still swear I bought (quite a bit of swearing actually)..Ready to give up and just make trip three to the hardware store in the morning, I took one last look around the shop then remembered I had a box of broken air tools that I had acquired and there they where..one was on an old air ratchet and one on an air hammer. Back in buisness..put everything together and by 11.00 pm I was hooking up the A/C to test for leaks..Incrediblely..no leaks..was able to pull a vacume and hold it and able to pressurize and hold the pressure..

Got up early and gathered all neccessary mixing equipment, plastic containers etc(all pillfered from the kitchen before the wife gets home) open the can of casting resin from Micheals and it wont pour out of the can..Its like jello..is it supposed to be that stiff?

It took me 15 minutes with a plastic fork handle to get 10 oz out of the can to have enough to fill the mold
I managed to get some color mixed in and put into the pot, pulled a vac on it for 10 min to degass..mixed in the catalyst poured into molds and pulled a vac again for 6 min to degass some more.. Then switched to 30 psi pressure..It's still in the pot so I dont know if it will turn out or not.

Could this be old or is that how its supposed to look??

here is a pic of the set up

Greg..thanks for putting together the tutorial
splinter99 is offline   Top
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

One more question..how long to you keep it under pressure??
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 51

Harold, You are VERY welcome!

No, your resin should not be that thick; you have a can of bad resin. Take it back and get your money back. It should pour like thick maple syrup. Someone has said that PR has about a 90-180 shelf life so if the stores don't sell much...

Depends on how much you trust your mixing/resin/etc. I'm still a newbie to this so I put mine under pressure in the afternoon and open it up the following morning.

GK

gketell is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 73

WOW! Makes mine look like a wimp...but it works [:D] Here's mine. The guage is both vacuum and pressure and I use the compressor regulator for pressure adjustment and I have a shut off valve on the vacuum pump.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Quote:
Originally posted by splinter99
<br />
here is a pic of the set up
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)
its_virgil is offline   Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

If this dont work for casting blanks im going to figure out away to make moonshine with it (the wife casts a hairy eyeball on anything I build that has a pot with tubes comming out of it)
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

MOONSHINE,one more reason for me to come back up there[:D]
Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Don,
Nice to see a setup that I think I can do! After purchasing my pot on Sunday I started reading all of the different setups in the threads. I don't think NASA spent as much time finagling their stuff to get a man on the moon as some of these pots are configured!

I just might be able to do this!

"I'm always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life." - - Miles Davis
txbatons is offline   Top
Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 84

There's a new tutorial on the home page also.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Head Moderator

Photos: 18

I prefer simple also and it serves me very well. But then again I am not using my pot for vacuum, only pressure. Here is mine:

<br />

The original, affordable home stabilizing solution!
Now available exclusively from TurnTex...Alumilite Clear and White in 1 gallon kits (1/2 Gal A&B)
www.TurnTex.com
MesquiteMan is offline   Top
Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I don't understand why you all have so much "stuff" hanging off the top of your pots.

I have my pot set up for pressure and vacuum. I use my compressor to regulate the pressure.

Here is the pressure setup:

My gauge is a vacuum/pressure like Don's. When I want vacuum I connect my HF venturi that I stripped out and fitted with couplings:
(Note that I have left the pressure relief valve in place. It is visible in this picture)

In additon to the cost of the pot I have $25-$35 in parts... All from Lowes (except the vacuum/pressure gauge). The shipping on the gauge cost more than the gauge itself.
Simple, and works like a charm.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread