Preferred Blank cross section

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I know the often referred to "standard" for the cross section of a blank is 3/4 inch. Is this the preferred size by pen makers, though? I know I have made pens where 3/4" leaves little room for either error or creativity and others where it is fine.

When cutting wood blanks from logs I start at what I would call a "thick inch" and true them up from there. Depending on how they further dry and such, I end up between a minimum of 3/4 and a little over 7/8. Some salvaged woods stay at an inch.

Now I beginning to cast and need to justify a size since the cast blanks don't change shape. If everything is truly 3/4 they just look skinny to me. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Wagner11

If you plan to sell your blanks then 7/8 seems like a good number as some kits are nice to have a little thicker blank.

If the blanks are just for you then whatever size works. If you know you're going to make a lot of slimlines you can go down to at least 5/8 and have no issues.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Dieseldoc

For my blank size 3/4 works well with just about any pen combo that I have come across in wood, In fact I will make 1/2 for std slim line stuff.

Now when I cast like Alum Honey comb blank the size will be not less that one inch as you have to work the blank it get correct alignment on the cell. The rest of my cast are 1x1x6 which leaves me extra length to control drill in blow out.

Hope this helps

Charlie

Top Bottom