Polymer Clay Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Not sure where to post this. Figured it was closer to casting than anything else.

I am trying to make a "blank" out of polymer clay. I have two different things going on. One is wrapping the clay around a Sierra blank. and the other is making a blank to drill and turn.

I have put the clay in the over at the temp on the instructions for the appropriate length of time.

What should I have at this point? Is the clay supposed to be hard, like rock or hard like rubber with some give to it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I wrapped mine around rhe blank. I mde it pretty thick and then turned it. Turning wasnt the easiest. Tools need to be very shsrp. It is probably better to get it close to the right thickness and sand it down

clapiana

correct let it cool and it will harden but dont overcook the clay otherwise it will end up being fragile.

when i make my pens i wrap the tube with a very thin "skin" of a solid color clay and then i apply my cane slices which are cut very very thin. the thinner the cut the better in that it will then blend into the solid clay. if you cut the canes to thick you will end up seeing "grooves" around each pattern.

i dont use any tools outside of some fine sand paper and i finish with acrylic polish.

blessings!
craig

Top Bottom