Playing with some new pigments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've got to turn these down to really see how they turned out but I'm liking the results so far. No dye in these just straight powdered pigments. Pearl white and purple, blue and green, and then a four color with black, silver, mahogany, and gold. The company that makes the pigments markets them to decorative concrete businesses but they appear to work just fine in alumilite.

Have a few more colors in my sample to test but so far I'm very happy. While I never had any issues with PearlEx I found these and wanted to try them out.
ae0007ca62f36cd524ba61be6ee883e7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks Bob! The company making the pigments is Black Diamond Pigments. One of their claims to fame as it were is a white pigment with real diamonds in it. I've got one white blank made up with it, so far I'm not sure it's much different than say a PearlEx with Macro pearl in it but we'll see once it's on a pen and polished up. I THINK I may have added too much white dye and I should have left it more translucent.

Those look good! Being an earthtone kind of guy I especially like the ones on the right.

I'm a big blue fan so it was a bit outside my comfort zone. The little ziplock bags of powder looked so good next to each other though that I figured I had to give it a shot. I think they're going to look great as pens. Glad I did two of those!

That's a Triton, the blank is called Mermaids treasure I believe, from exotic blanks. Someone posted a pen recently made from one of those blanks and I had to try it out. It's a good one!

PatrickR

You have been busy! They all look good. I checked out the product, some cool colors.
What resin did you use?
Did you measure the amount of pigment used?

I went from their recommendations of 1 gram per ounce of resin for the most part. That's alumilite resin. Will be trying liquid diamonds eventually when that kick starter package ships I suppose. They do sell a sample size which has 5 grams of each color (more than enough for quite a few pens!) It might be worth emailing them and telling them I sent ya. Chris is the sales guy and he hooked me up when I ordered my sample with a few extras. (Tim McKenzie)

Thanks! I have one more of those blanks and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I think that's my best one to date for sure. There were MANY failures in the learning curve but I think I've almost got this casting thing mildly under control. That is, until I try out a new resin lol

Top Bottom