Planning on casting and want advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on doing some stabilizing and casting of pen blanks and would be looking to use a portion of the materials as trade material. My question is if I was to cast with tubes, knowing that all type of tubes are used depending on what pens are being turned, am curious what size tubes are folks usually looking for and at what length. I know there will be 100 different answers, but I guess I'm trying to figure out the what the top 5 sizes would be.

Thanks in advance,
Mike B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

Most pens can be made with 3/4" square or 5/8" round blanks. Lengths vary too much to be able to give an answer.

Russianwolf

depends on the blank

If they are high end embedded blanks then you would be looking at higher end pens than if they are simple colored resin pours.

You have to figure out what market you are going for, then you can figure out the pen styles.

Sierra is a safe bet as it is very popular.

healeydays

depends on the blank

If they are high end embedded blanks then you would be looking at higher end pens than if they are simple colored resin pours.

You have to figure out what market you are going for, then you can figure out the pen styles.

Sierra is a safe bet as it is very popular.

Thanks, I was thinking the Sierra blanks would be an easy decision. How about the cigar or the slimline, are they still popular?

I am going after making high end blanks. Snake skin, feathers, interesting burl with voids, and other interesting builds. Nothing against the folks who do, but simple colored resin pours would not be my thing...

jbswearingen

Thanks, I was thinking the Sierra blanks would be an easy decision. How about the cigar or the slimline, are they still popular?

I am going after making high end blanks. Snake skin, feathers, interesting burl with voids, and other interesting builds. Nothing against the folks who do, but simple colored resin pours would not be my thing...

They might not be "your" thing, but "your" thing doesn't matter when it comes to your customer base. You've gotta find what sells and what doesn't, then make that. Does that make sense?

healeydays

They might not be "your" thing, but "your" thing doesn't matter when it comes to your customer base. You've gotta find what sells and what doesn't, then make that. Does that make sense?

Yup, and there are alot of guys already doing that. My #1 priority isn't selling blanks so customer base isn't my top concern.

Mike B

its_virgil

For tube in casting I would cast kit specific tubes and not just certain size tubes. For example, I would cast for the sierra, cigar, baron, jr series, long clicker, etc. Pick what you think are the most popular kits and order tubes for those and cast. Advertise as sets of blanks for specific kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi Folks,
My question is if I was to cast with tubes ... am curious what size tubes are folks usually looking for and at what length. I know there will be 100 different answers, but I guess I'm trying to figure out the what the top 5 sizes would be.

Thanks in advance,
Mike B

healeydays

Mike--

I may have misread your first post then. Sorry about that. Disregard!

Hi Brad,

No problem. I know there are a number of folks that are in it for making some spending money, I know what that is about as I deal with antiques to pay for my British car restoration.

I'm in it to have some fun with a hobby and maybe make a little extra to give to friends and maybe swap or sell just enough to buy woods I couldn't get elsewhere as I do over on Woodbarter.

Mike B

jbswearingen

Mike--

I may have misread your first post then. Sorry about that. Disregard!

Hi Brad,

No problem. I know there are a number of folks that are in it for making some spending money, I know what that is about as I deal with antiques to pay for my British car restoration.

I'm in it to have some fun with a hobby and maybe make a little extra to give to friends and maybe swap or sell just enough to buy woods I couldn't get elsewhere as I do over on Woodbarter.

Mike B

That's exactly why *I'm* getting into casting my own blanks! I'm selling pens now to pay for a trip this summer, and have a goal of selling 100 pens this year. That's not enough to put a noticeable rise in my income, but it *will* pay for the hobby with a little left over.

(And keep me out of trouble with the missus!)

Top Bottom