pine cone preparation for casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

conandy

Hey all. I have searched, and didn't find a clear answer to this.

I am about to start casting some stuff in resin. Specifically pine cones for this post. At first I'll be using epoxies (liquid diamonds, epoxycast 690), but I plan to move on to Alumilite in the very near future. I do have a pressure pot, but don't currently have a vacuum chamber.

What is the best way to clean them and make sure any resin residue is removed? Water? Soapy water? Solvent? Compressed air? Other?

I assume that after they are clean, I'll need to dry them very well. I plan on using a food dehydrator for that.

Any other wisdom to be imparted?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

You can use water and a soft bristle brush if they are dirty. Also an air compressor to blow any object from down inside them. Be sure to warm them prior to casting to remove any humidity and moisture from the air. Good luck!

conandy

Why not dry them in a toaster oven?

Because I don't have a toaster oven yet.....

That said, I just bought a house we are going to remodel, and previous owners left a full size electric stove in the garage. Maybe I can do some pine cone cooking in that. Hmmm....

ramaroodle

Why not dry them in a toaster oven?

Because I don't have a toaster oven yet.....

That said, I just bought a house we are going to remodel, and previous owners left a full size electric stove in the garage. Maybe I can do some pine cone cooking in that. Hmmm....
That takes up a lot of space. :biggrin: I grabbed a toaster oven at Goodwill for $8.99.

upstatepano

When you dry pine cones in an oven they will fully open. I avoid that by wrapping them, while damp and closed, in a thin wire mesh when drying and also if I stabilize them.

Perl

I would be interested in buying some pine cone blanks from someone if they have a couple of extras. Send me a PM

THX

Top Bottom