Photo blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Loon-A-See

Hi Gang,

I'm searching but have yet to find any results for this question:

Has anyone every used photographs on the tubes to then cast blanks?

I've seen most everything else cast but I am thinking to try attaching photos onto a tube and then cast it in Alumilite. I do not have a shop and I need to use a less toxic casting agent, so that I could pour the mold in my TINY kitchen.

I have MANY photographs, and some of my finer ones, I'd like to use in casting to make my own blanks. Say, for example, a shot of a Bald Eagle, or a Great Blue Heron, etc. I live on an island and I take MANY photos of wild birds. And, why not make blanks of my pets' photos?

Thanks for your guidance and input!

Maria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Yes, it has been done and is quite easy to do once the basics of casting are out of the way. I print the photo on Avery 2" x4" labels. The pictue is sized for the tube being used. Then tube on casting is done. A quick trip through the library in the casting section is a good place to start.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Russknan

Don, love your work and all the sharing of technique you have done. If you have time, do you think you could post a pic or two of pens you have made using the method you described here? Russ

its_virgil

Thanks Russell. There are no photos but several label pens at the end of this article: http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/casting_pen_blanks.pdf

The labels are just pictures, right? Print a logo, a photo...they are the same and work the same. There is a picture of Mona Lisa cast by Bruce Robbins...

Seamus posted a picture of a couple of pens using avery labels also.

thanks again and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don, love your work and all the sharing of technique you have done. If you have time, do you think you could post a pic or two of pens you have made using the method you described here? Russ

bkersten

I've been doing thin CA on the labels once they're dry. I put it in a water bottle cap and pipe it on with a Q tip swab until it is sort of wet lookng but not runny wet. Then hit it with light spray of accelerator. Light, so it will not bubble up on the surface, and then let it set over night to outgas. The PR will not soak through the surface of the lable, and so far I've had no seperations of PR from the CA. I keep the Q-tip moist and moving enough so there are no strands to catch and dry in the surface. I started with small brushes but they hardened up to quick where the Q-tip stayed soft. So far so good.

Top Bottom