painting tubes before casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Philip E

I have been trying to cast some clear blanks where the tubes are painted and decorated with a decal or whatever. I am having an issue where the paint looks like it is dissolving off the tube as the PR cures. I am using an acrylic paint but I was wondering if I should use an enamel paint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

le_skieur

I use enamel paint with pretty good results, I even take flat finish and it look shiny true the acrylic. I have tried nail polish but not a good result with CA.

Curly

Take some tin foil from the kitchen and form it into a little dish. Paint stripes with paint you want to try (artist acrylic, nail polish, etc.) and put some PR in and see how they react. Use the ones that don't melt or wrinkle.

79spitfire

I've done this with great results. I allow the paint to fully cure (a week or more) then cast. So far I haven't had any noticeably peel. It's also a great way to cast a semi clear pour and not have the tube show.

Philip E

it's not that the paint is peeling off the tube, it is more like being eaten off. Since I have CA glue I am currently testing that method of sealing the tube after painting and applying decals.

Curly, I Like your idea, I take it you have done this? Results you have had?

Curly

Curly, I Like your idea, I take it you have done this? Results you have had?

Yup. Cuts down on a lot of failed attempts. Some colours of the same kind of paints may fail where others don't. Some brands of artists paint work and many nail polishes too. You'll need to try what is locally available to you rather than what we used on the west coast. Here in the Prairies we will have to start over when we get into our new shop next year.

Philip E

Got some mod podge recently and coated my painted and decaled tubes with it before pouring in the PR and still it ate at the paint, bubbled really bad and pretty much wrinkled the decal right off the tube. Any other suggestions?

mediopolis

enamel will work, but it does take over a week to really allow it to set before the PR eats it off. I switched to smoothcast to avoid waiting so long all together. But either way, time is if your friend.

Top Bottom