Painting brass tubes for resin casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodmoto

What kind of paint should I use to paint the brass tubes. I am trying to paint the tube then glue small (fishing) flies on the tubes and then cast them in clear resin but the paint I have tried wrinkles and peels off the tube as soon as I pour the resin over the tubes, ruining the tube and the flies. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arkie

I have heard people report success with various methods. I have only had success with nail polish so far - Sinful Collection "Black on Black" is what I normally use, $2 a bottle at Walgreens. Put on a double coat, as it tends to turn translucent when cast in PR and you do not want bits of brass to shine through.

I have seen Barry Gross demo using regular craft acrylic paints from bottles - craft store stuff. I believe it works and intend to try it, but think it may be a bit slow to suit me.

What kind of paint should I use to paint the brass tubes. I am trying to paint the tube then glue small (fishing) flies on the tubes and then cast them in clear resin but the paint I have tried wrinkles and peels off the tube as soon as I pour the resin over the tubes, ruining the tube and the flies. Any suggestions?

Akula

I use Krylon and even the low cost spray paint from Walmart. Make sure it's dry before attaching the flies (I use thick CA) and then let it fully dry before casting. I have done a lot of flies, hooks ect for fishing theme pens.

Fred

For even more fun - and a little money - invest in a powder coating set-up. Harbor Freight has one that is fair to meddling ... you just have to take a bit of time and practice in handling everything. You will also need a toaster over - try Goodwill. Don't get a small one as it is too cramped - IMHO!!!

jttheclockman

The powdercoating system will work the best but not for everyone. I would suggest using heat resistant paints such as used on barbecues which you can get in Home Depot or Lowes. You can also buy colored tubes or chameleon tubes I think they are called. Many of the kit vendors carry them.

Last edited:

Marko50

Alcohol ink

Most hobby or craft stores carry alcohol dyes/inks that will tint your tubes almost any color. Jim S

Amen to what Jim said. This method works well with Alumilite too, as long as you seal the tube prior to casting. ...Just my .02¢:cool:

Top Bottom