Paint reaction with PR resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Not long ago there was a thread regarding paint reaction with PR, so I thought I would show this mistake that turned out OK. I painted the tube with white Rustoleum, dried one day, dabbed on some pink acrylic paint with sparkles in it, dried two days, applied the pink ribbon sticker, and waited one day. I cast it in PR (6 drops hardener), and was surprised when I pulled the mold out later. The paint had puckered, even under the sticker, but I decided to turn it anyway for a better look. It has a unique texture to it, but I really was going for the smooth look.

What I think I learned is that CA should be applied as a final coat before casting. My paper covered tubes turn out OK, but they are coated with CA to protect the paper. I guess the paint needs it, also.

All comments and critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN0703.jpg
    DSCN0703.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN0702.jpg
    DSCN0702.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ELA

The crazing could have been caused by the combination of the two different paints. The enamel may not have been fully dry when you put the acrylic over it.

Very nice effect.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

I had the same thing happen with a fishing fly I cast with PR Resin. It was even with no seperation so I thought it added to the fly. After that I seal each layer of a different material with CA before adding the next. Not between coats or colors of the same material.

The funny thing is, I showed it to a co-workers wife who loved it, and wants me to make some more for her friends just like it. I tried to explain the "uniqueness" of this pen, and it probably can't be duplicated, to no avail. I guess I will try and see if I can find the combination that caused it.

Kenny Durrant

Oh Trust Me! It can be duplicated just not when you want. Ha Ha. I've only had one wrinkle where it didn't ruin the pen. I've had 4 or 5 where it was a small spot or cracked open so you could see the brass tube.

Top Bottom