Opaque Poly Resin Dyes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I had my casting supplies packed up for about 2.5 years while we moved. My Castin' Craft brand tints went bad in that time - the color separated and they gelled. I did a couple castings earlier this year with Silmar 41 and acrylic paint, but had issues with the paint not working - the blanks came out grainy.

I decided to get new tints. Castin Craft is about 7.00 a bottle, at least thats the cheapest I can find it. Woodn Whimsies has their tints for about half that price, but it's not really opaque. I would call it semi-opaque, not quite transparent. With Castin Craft, the color is solid. After I'm done stirring the tint in, you can't see the mixing stick through the resin that's on it. The Woodn Whimsies tints you still can. Also, the Woodn whimsies tint after asking them, they say 5 drops per oz of resin. Castin Craft as I recall took maybe a drop per oz. Certainly I was mixing only 2 or 3 drops per blank, and each blank takes ~3 oz.

So question, is there a dye that performs like Castin Craft that's a true opaque but is a bit cheaper?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

actually... no. I have peralex powders. I will look at the mica. the only problem I see with mica is can you blend to get different shades?

Last edited:

Cwalker935

You can mix with transparent dyes to make them opaque or do multi color pours. I've never tried to blend them to get a different color or tone.

crokett

You can mix with transparent dyes to make them opaque or do multi color pours. I've never tried to blend them to get a different color or tone.

One more question... given the mica powders are solids do swirls stay separate or do you get the risk of blending like with the liquid tints? The pearlex I think I've only ever mixed a pearlex with a liquid tint.

You can absolutely blend mica powders to alter shading and colors.

As far as swirling goes, it's the resin you're working with that's probably the most important. If you go crazy with swirling it, you'll get some blending and if you try to pour too soon you won't get good separation. Time it right and swirl carefully and you're fine.

If you real up on alumilite dyes, they mention which ones are opaque and which ones are translucent. Mixing appropriately can alter translucence.

bmachin

Before you start looking for mica...Pearl Ex IS mica.

Here is an article (written primarily for robotics people) with multiple sources for dyes and pigments, as well as info on casting and molding materials and techniques. A little bit old, but I think valuable.

Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting

Regarding Alumilite dyes, I'm pretty sure all are transparent except for white and black.

Hope it helps,
Bill

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Be aware that colorants for Alumilite (urethane) may or may not be compatible with polyester resin, and that colorants for polyester resin may or may not be compatible with Alumilite. It's best not to mix the two. When used in an incompatible resin, colorants may retard hardening, change color, or cause the mix to foam.

Colorants include particulates (such as mica powder), pigments (typically opaque), and dyes (typically transparent or translucent). Mica powder works well in just about any transparent resin, but not in opaque resins. Pigments and dyes need to be matched to the appropriate resin type, but generally can be mixed with clear or opaque variants.

The last time I bought opaque pigments for Silmar 41 (a polyester casting resin), I got them from Illstreet Composites (see Industrial resin pigment for crafts and composites - Resin pigments for polyester resin- Craft pigment in stock with fast shipping - iLLSTREET). They don't always have all the colors listed, and sometimes have others. I was quite happy with their opaque pigments. Check out http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/blue-swirl-108278/ and http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/peppermint-stick-99786/ for examples of PR with opaque pigments.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Terredax

Banned
I had my casting supplies packed up for about 2.5 years while we moved. My Castin' Craft brand tints went bad in that time - the color separated and they gelled. I did a couple castings earlier this year with Silmar 41 and acrylic paint, but had issues with the paint not working - the blanks came out grainy.

I decided to get new tints. Castin Craft is about 7.00 a bottle, at least thats the cheapest I can find it. Woodn Whimsies has their tints for about half that price, but it's not really opaque. I would call it semi-opaque, not quite transparent. With Castin Craft, the color is solid. After I'm done stirring the tint in, you can't see the mixing stick through the resin that's on it. The Woodn Whimsies tints you still can. Also, the Woodn whimsies tint after asking them, they say 5 drops per oz of resin. Castin Craft as I recall took maybe a drop per oz. Certainly I was mixing only 2 or 3 drops per blank, and each blank takes ~3 oz.

So question, is there a dye that performs like Castin Craft that's a true opaque but is a bit cheaper?

The first two sites I visited, have the C&C pigments for $4.85 and $4.83 respectively. They offer quantity discounts, coupon discounts, and free shipping.
Going to Hobby Lobby and using the 40% coupon is a good deal. Only one item per coupon, but I've used several coupons in separate transactions. Your store may vary on policy.

Any fiberglass supplier, i.e. auto body, marina, etc., will have the pigments.

Fortunately, all of my dry colorants, were of no cost to myself. I got them from my previous employment. I have several hundred colors in various shades. One color I have is in a full one gallon container. It was used as a colorant for luxury, high-end paint for exotic vehicles.

chartle

Cody - I ordered the mica in a matte finish. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Mixed in resin I think the matte is pretty much removed. Its how you finish the resin that matters.

The matte aspect of the mica probably only comes into play when used in scrap booking where its used more like glitter. A glue of some sort is applied and the mica sprinkled on top.

Terredax

Banned
Cody - I ordered the mica in a matte finish. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Mixed in resin I think the matte is pretty much removed. Its how you finish the resin that matters.

The matte aspect of the mica probably only comes into play when used in scrap booking where its used more like glitter. A glue of some sort is applied and the mica sprinkled on top.

Matte pigments indicate there is no iridescence. They are a good replacement for a solid color. They can also be treated as a dispersion and mix well for color alterations and shades.
Of course, once cast and polished, the surface will acquire the gloss finish as with any other pigment.

If an iridescence is desired, a pearl pigment can be added.

My experience is that Alumilite Flo dyes don't like PR, I had nothing but problems with them. I think I even read that somewhere when Inwas trying to figure out what went wrong. I haven't tried any of the others since I stick with CC when using PR. And yes, you can blend mica to make your own shades/colors, I've done it many times. If using dye and mica, I think the translucent dyes are best, opaque dyes take away the iridescence of the mica.

Dr_N

Will any mica powder work? I was about to order Pearl Ex, and read through this post. There are several sellers of mica powders on Amazon that appear to be much cheaper than Pearl Ex.

Will any mica powder work? I was about to order Pearl Ex, and read through this post. There are several sellers of mica powders on Amazon that appear to be much cheaper than Pearl Ex.

I've used many different mica powders from both US and China vendors including Alumidust and Pearl Ex. IMO Pearl Ex have the best shimmer bar none, I feel they're worth every penny. If it helps, the best price I've found is online from Dharma Trading, especially if you're buying 5 or 10, they have a price break at each level.

I'm not saying any of the others are junk, I've had great results with bulk purchases from China and Alumidust. And a few bad results with mica from various US vendors and direct from China as well. I've never had a problem with Pearl Ex and overall it gives me consistently better looking blanks.

Dr_N

I've used many different mica powders from both US and China vendors including Alumidust and Pearl Ex. IMO Pearl Ex have the best shimmer bar none, I feel they're worth every penny. If it helps, the best price I've found is online from Dharma Trading, especially if you're buying 5 or 10, they have a price break at each level.

I'm not saying any of the others are junk, I've had great results with bulk purchases from China and Alumidust. And a few bad results with mica from various US vendors and direct from China as well. I've never had a problem with Pearl Ex and overall it gives me consistently better looking blanks.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I found a couple Pearl ex colors at hobby lobby today, so I picked them up to mess with until my Amazon order of series 3 arrives. The more I looked around, I agree with you and feel like the blanks I saw that were Pearl ex looked really good.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I found a couple Pearl ex colors at hobby lobby today, so I picked them up to mess with until my Amazon order of series 3 arrives. The more I looked around, I agree with you and feel like the blanks I saw that were Pearl ex looked really good.

I think you'll be happy you went with the Pearl Ex. When I first started using it I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I think it gives better saturation than the cheaper micas so I use less, which helps mitigate the higher price. And of course, show us the blanks when younmake them!

Dr_N

I think you'll be happy you went with the Pearl Ex. When I first started using it I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I think it gives better saturation than the cheaper micas so I use less, which helps mitigate the higher price. And of course, show us the blanks when younmake them!
Just turned my first cast today! Made a slimline from silver and citrine Pearl ex. I'm pretty happy with it, and like how the Pearl ex looks. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks again for your input.

Dr_N

Here is a pic of two of the blanks.
f706aa9a23155530f26514ef2f8968d7.jpg

Top Bottom