oomoo mold making material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

Been wanting to make a few molds for casting. I generally buy them but have just a few I want to try to make. Has anyone ever used oomoo silicone mold making kit from amazon like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BNF3TK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4X0OY9KWYIWC&colid=2GXVISD491NJV

I was wanting to know if this is durable enough to make molds for casual use. They will not be used extensively but want them to be durable enough for demolding and not tearing apart.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I have used it, and some of their other products. For molds, I liked the Dragon Skin version the best. https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Drago...=smooth-on+dragon+skin+fx-pro+silicone+rubber

It costs a lot more, but I like the elasticity that it offered. But, I was using it for other castings, not pen blanks where you do not need the elasticity it provides.

Smooth-On has a warehouse store near where our son lives, so it has become our go to place for all types of resins. They even offer classes on various subjects including mold making every so often.

thewishman

I tried the tin-cure and had some deformation in my pieces after a couple of batches. My local Smooth-On supplier suggested moving to a harder platinum-cure resin and this was the stuff the recommended:

20171005_212820-539x430.jpg

preacherman

Dale,

I can't comment on that product specifically, but you might want to take a quick look at this article where the author goes into what the various types of silicones and their specifications will get you in terms of performance.

Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting

The section on molding rubbers is fairly close to the top.

Hope it helps.

Bill

thanks for that. I think I'll have to go back and look at that again lots a good info there!

Top Bottom