Oil-based Paint Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eealdrich

So, I'm putting together a KISS-themed pen for a dear friend's birthday and everything is ready to go. I let the paint off-gas for...gosh...a week? Same with the labels. I added her name this evening with an oil-based paint pen, and was wondering...do I need to let it off-gas? I really want to cast this sooner rather than later (her birthday is Monday, eek!) so that I can get it turned. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eealdrich

Here are a couple of pics...the second one has the "concern area" with her name written out in oil-based paint. I don't want to cast it and have blurring or bubbles! Of course, at 2300 EST, I might as well wait til tomorrow anyway, huh? :tongue:

Attachments

• penpic2.jpg
    penpic2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 213
  • penpic1.jpg
    penpic1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 233

Charlie_W

I do not cast but would think the only thing left you can do is to set the blank in front of a fan. With the decals, you can't pop it in a toaster oven on low to help cure the paint at this point.

Good luck and do post a pic when it is finished.

Curly

Experience tells us to always test any kind of paint before using it for a pen blank. The paint may react when it comes into contact with the resin. A simple way to test is to form some aluminium foil from the kitchen into a little bowl, paint some stripes or circles with each colour on the bottom and when dry, pour your catalyzed resin into it. If there is no reaction, you get to use that paint for blanks. If there is a reaction, then look for another kind of paint. Even different colours of the same brand of paint can react differently, so test them all. Better to waste an ounce of resin than to have blanks fail after putting all that work into them. Hopefully your blank turns out.

magpens

Thanks for pics ... I see that you literally meant KISS ! ... Good luck ... sorry I can't offer any casting advice.

Hope to see the finished result !!

eealdrich

Alright, y'all...I just put it in the pressure pot. Keep your fingers crossed for my blank, all night long!!! I'll update tomorrow on how it turns out...:eek::eek::eek:

exoticwoodpen

That's gonna be a heart stopper when it's finished. If it works out I gotta make one for me. My favorite band of all time. I might use acrylic paint instead of oil so when Casting using Casting Craft acrylic resin it won't react. Fabulous idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Cwalker935

One thought would be to seal the new paint with a 50/50 mixture of elmers white glue and water. It will dry clear and relatively quickly. I do that to seal older stamps that do not react well with CA or PR.

Top Bottom