Odor when casting indoors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike4066

I'm thinking of bringing my casting indoors for the winter but there is NO way I'll be allowed to do PR in the house because of the smell, and I'm not going to build a fume free box just for a couple months of colder weather.

Anyone have input on if I should use Epoxy or Alumilite? I've looked around and can't really see anyone talking about the odor level between the two. It's always compared to PR which smells for hours once it gets on you.

I have a pressure pot
I'll be casting in my basement 15 feet from the
Fumes can't be flammable (gas furnace nearby)
Odor is a major concern. This can't happen if house is going to smell.
I'll mainly be doing clear castings, maybe some worthless wood stuff.

Thanks,

mike

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike4066

an Air Scrubber probably wouldn't work... The wife is really sensitive to the smells in fact she said something to me this morning because of the smell of PR. I cast some yesterday and then last night I vented the pot outside and then carried it inside to stay warm (no pressure in the pot, but it was closed up). All I did was open the pot this morning (near a window) and next time she came down she said something about me not being allowed to do that inside :)

I'll try the Alumilite first, its cheaper and easy to order on Amazon. If that smells too much then Ill try the epoxy or build a hotbox in the garage and use the 2 gallons of PR i ordered 2 months ago and haven't touched :(.

Thanks,

Mike

JohnU

I use both Silmar 41 Polyresin and Alumilite. There wont be an odor or fume problem with Alumilite, although the difference between them is as much in its use as it is in its odor and mixing procedures. Alumilite will work very well with color and worthless wood casting but not as well for clear casting. Not saying it cant be done but its sets very quickly and getting visible air out can be tough. Silmar smells BAD but is great for clear casting or tube on casting. Its all on how you decide to use it and then being consistant.

dogcatcher

Read the MSDS sheets before you use any of them. Just because you can not smell it, or it is not an offensive odor does not mean it cannot cause medical problems or slowly kill you. I have yet to find one that I could say it is TOTALLY safe, they all have some kind of warnings about inhaling the fumes.

Marko50

I use Alumilite almost exclusively. I cast in our kitchen and the wife says 'nary a word. No smell, no fuss. I do mostly clear casting, tube-in stuff and have very few, if any problems. Love the stuff. It turns like a dream, it's not brittle and won't crack when it's dropped after you've turned it.

You should get their smallest bottles, give it a try and then decide what to go with, whatever suits your operation best. ...Just my.02¢

ELA

Read the MSDS sheets before you use any of them. Just because you can not smell it, or it is not an offensive odor does not mean it cannot cause medical problems or slowly kill you. I have yet to find one that I could say it is TOTALLY safe, they all have some kind of warnings about inhaling the fumes.

Very good advice!!!!

mike4066

Quick update

I was able to spend an afternoon with Mark James and test out some Alumilite. He walked me through prep/casting and the blanks came out great. No detectable odor and they were nice and clear.

I liberated some of Marks Alumilite and was able to do 3-4 casts in the basement without the wife noticing. The only time she could smell anything was when I first opened my pot and took out an old mold that I used for PR.

Thanks everyone who chimed in.

endacoz

Are you still casting Alumillite indoors? How is it going?

Can you post some pictures of your setup and casted blanks?

Top Bottom