Note to self:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Do NOT forget to add catalyst!!!

Wrecked a whole batch of silver leaf blanks today.

Sigh.

I poured the resin in my pipe molds, put the molds and rack in the pot, and left them overnight.

This morning I went to take them out and found them still wet. I immediately knew what happened. :mad:

I poured them out as best I could, mixed in the MEKP, then put them back in the pot. 4 hours later I pulled them out and only the top 4 inches or so cured. Apparently enough was left in the pipe to cause this.

I cooked them for 30 minutes (the ones I hadn't already opened) but it wasn't enough. I've now had them in for over an hour. I'm going to do another hour for good measure, and see what happens.

I can't BELIEVE I did that. :redface:

Wait. Yes I can.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
That's why I have my casting bench set up in sections. No steps get skipped and at the end of the bench are the curing racks that they go into after pouring. When pouring 100 blanks at one time, it's easy to forget something.

DurocShark

That's why I have my casting bench set up in sections. No steps get skipped and at the end of the bench are the curing racks that they go into after pouring. When pouring 100 blanks at one time, it's easy to forget something.

100 at a time? Wow, I got excited when I build my rack that could hold 16... :eek:

DozerMite

Banned
100 at a time? Wow, I got excited when I build my rack that could hold 16... :eek:

I set everything up to be able to pour 150. My comfort zone stops around 100 though. Too many things going on and once the gelling starts, there's no turning back.:redface:

tt1106

My first pour went straight over the side of my deck. I was heating a plastic cup inside another plastic cup and dumped the resin and half the water from the bottom cup into the mold. Duh.

workinforwood

You heat them too much too long and they'll get hidden cracks inside them. As a fellow vendor I say let em sit and eventually they will cure especially in sun and then take no risks retailing them, give them away as freebies. This way you actually can turn it into a positive, you explain they are rejects and whether they spin to success or not people get a free taste of your product. That's good for future sales to new customers. To sell a potential mishap leads to refunds which are embarassing even if customer understands mistakes happen, can leave a bad taste and refunds cost more due to shipping fees. Even if you ship free replacement you should refund all money leaving you even further behind cause you inconvenienced someone.

DurocShark

You heat them too much too long and they'll get hidden cracks inside them. As a fellow vendor I say let em sit and eventually they will cure especially in sun and then take no risks retailing them, give them away as freebies. This way you actually can turn it into a positive, you explain they are rejects and whether they spin to success or not people get a free taste of your product. That's good for future sales to new customers. To sell a potential mishap leads to refunds which are embarassing even if customer understands mistakes happen, can leave a bad taste and refunds cost more due to shipping fees. Even if you ship free replacement you should refund all money leaving you even further behind cause you inconvenienced someone.
These aren't going for sale. I'm keeping this batch.

At this point it's a science experiment. How much oven time will partially cured PR need? :wink:

workinforwood

I had some in a 3/4 water pipe that took a month. I just stashed it away and eventually it cured. Spun out nice when it did. I couldn't get it out of the pipe but the pipe wasn't hard to spin away.

DurocShark

After the oven cure, they finally hardened. Too bad that section isn't usable.

In the pic, the top one is a fresh-from-the-mold "normal" blank and the bottom one shows a blank with the section that didn't cure normally but had to be cured in the oven.

Silver Leaf Blanks - One fail, one win. by DurocShark, on Flickr

The batch will be scrapped.

Last edited:

burr

I can feel your pain, this does happen to "professionals" as well, I used to apply protective finishes to chemical containment areas, one job we had a fairly new guy mixing for a 5000 sq ft pad we were working on, imagine our embarrassment when we had to go to the customer and explain that we were removing the protective finish because "we" forgot to add catalyst to the epoxy before applying it to the floor!

firewhatfire

I have not had to learn that lesson as of yet(well not on my on).:bulgy-eyes: Thanks for reminding me to not get ahead of myself. I am sure I will make alot of them of course I only pour 4-6 at a time.

Still got that leaf casting on my list.

Phil

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Jonothan, for jinxing me. I guess today was my day.:rolleyes: Fortunately, I haven't gotten to the point of doing several at a time. BUT, it was only one of three colors!:mad::mad::mad: If the addage that we learn more from our failures than our successes is true, I'm going to bed tonight with a NEW LEVEL OF BRILLIANCE. This whole day has turned to mud.:eek:

I think we've all been there at one point or will be sooner or later. It does suck that it happened with your leaf blanks. Those are so cool!

Last edited:

Brooks803

Thanks Jonothan, for jinxing me. I guess today was my day.:rolleyes: Fortunately, I haven't gotten to the point of doing several at a time. BUT, it was only one of three colors!:mad::mad::mad: If the addage that we learn more from our failures than our successes is true, I'm going to bed tonight with a NEW LEVEL OF BRILLIANCE. This whole day has turned to mud.:eek:

I think we've all been there at one point or will be sooner or later. It does suck that it happened with your leaf blanks. Those are so cool!

Lol..Joe, I'm sorry it happened. It will make you better though! Just imagine how many gallons I've screwed up to get where I am:eek:. More than I want to admit sadly (I'll admit 5gallons for now:redface:). You'll rethink your process and before you know it you'll be doing 3-4 color blanks with ease.

Top Bottom