No Bubbles casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

One gallon units are available from US Composites. I think it will be Silmar 41...which is not a bad thing. I've used S41 a lot and have excellent results with it.

Still in NM fishing. We are getting dumped on weatherwise today. Lots of rain, thunder, lightening, and small hail. But, on requirement for the lodging was free high speed internet.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

This is really a distributor problem I see with Composites one. The local distributor here does not sell in anything less than 55 gallon containers. Of course it's their perogative, but I'm not a composites fabrication shop.

its_virgil

I put hot tap water into my ultrasonic cleaner and also turn on the ultrasonic's heater. The raw uncatalyzed resin goes into a jar and then into the water in the cleaner. I usually leave it there with the cleaner turned on for 20 minutes or so. then I add the catalyst, gently stirr and then pour into the molds.

good liuck with yuour casting and ask away if you need more questions aswered. Roy can answer any question in case I'm on the river.

I actually gbrought several of Ken Nelsen's laser inlay kits. I've put together 4 so far. I'm doing two puzzle kits this afternoon and evening.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

To clarify something Virgil... your're warming up the pr resin first, then adding the catalyst?

Or just warming it up, and not putting any catalyst in at all, and it's curing that way?

Thanks for the info, it saves me some mistakes.... and money:biggrin:!!

Thanks again Don.

S.A.Mappin

Thank you Don, and Roy.

I went ahead and bought more Slimlar 41 in the gallon container. I was happy with the way it worked for me, I just didn't buy much of it the first time. Do you guys tend to use the same PR when you are making acrylics with colors?

Hope you catch one big enough to talk about Don.. good luck!!

its_virgil

I don't do much with colors but visiting with a couple of friends who do I think the Swing resin we were using holds colors better than S41. From what I understand Swing resin (a polyester resin) is so named because its use can "swing" from clear casting to adding coloring to even other uses such as man made marble. Maybe someone can answer your question better than I just did. How about you guys and gals who make colored blanks....what kind of PR or which brand of PR are you using?

No more fish for me or the wife. Lots of rain in in Northern New Mexico tghe last two days and the rivers are now the color of choclate milk. And the lakes were not cooperating. But we had fun. Heading home tomorrow early for an all day drive back to Texas.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thank you Don, and Roy.

I went ahead and bought more Slimlar 41 in the gallon container. I was happy with the way it worked for me, I just didn't buy much of it the first time. Do you guys tend to use the same PR when you are making acrylics with colors?

Hope you catch one big enough to talk about Don.. good luck!!

jleiwig

One gallon units are available from US Composites. I think it will be Silmar 41...which is not a bad thing. I've used S41 a lot and have excellent results with it.

Still in NM fishing. We are getting dumped on weatherwise today. Lots of rain, thunder, lightening, and small hail. But, on requirement for the lodging was free high speed internet.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Not the composites one here here. 55 gallon drums only. I usually order from other places as they have resin cheaper, but no one carries a decent casting resin.

its_virgil

Composites One and US Composites are not the same. Some local branches of Composites One have different minimum purchase requirements. I think it depends on the amount of the product sold locally. PR has a relatively short shelf life...reported to be 6 months from the date of manufacture. If the product is prepromoted, that is.

Silmar 41 is an excellent casting resin for doing clear castings and is abailable from US Composites in 1 gallon units:
http://uscomposites.com/polyesters.html . They ship quickly.

I am fortunate that the Composites One close to me will sell in 5 gallon units and I can pick it up and save the shipping charges...at least until they change the policy in Ft. Worth tx.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Not the composites one here here. 55 gallon drums only. I usually order from other places as they have resin cheaper, but no one carries a decent casting resin.

jleiwig

Composites One and US Composites are not the same. Some local branches of Composites One have different minimum purchase requirements. I think it depends on the amount of the product sold locally. PR has a relatively short shelf life...reported to be 6 months from the date of manufacture. If the product is prepromoted, that is.

Silmar 41 is an excellent casting resin for doing clear castings and is abailable from US Composites in 1 gallon units:
http://uscomposites.com/polyesters.html . They ship quickly.

I am fortunate that the Composites One close to me will sell in 5 gallon units and I can pick it up and save the shipping charges...at least until they change the policy in Ft. Worth tx.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Yeah..I know..sorry..brain fart yesterday....hump day nearly killed me! :biggrin:

S.A.Mappin

U.S. Composites is who I use also. I will say, they are like dealing with Bill at Arizona Silhouette, they are quick to get it to you.

Thats always good, because I get excited and antsy when I'm waiting for "goodies".

bitshird

I've been using the resin from Ed4copies and Dawn (exoticblanks) and I can't tell any difference between it and U.S.Composites silmar 41 other than Ed's ships in an easy to handle gallon Jug, has worked well for worthless wood, and straight poly casting, I don't own a pressure pot, just a commercial vacuum pump and a bell jar, (works pretty good) seeing it through a translucent jug scared me a bit it looked kind of blue, but if you pour a quart of Silmar 41 it looks similar in color so I did some white blanks with Rotini and no color tinge,they came out great. I don't do labels or snake skins, but Ed's PR mixes well and gels at about the same rate as silmar 41, I think I'm going to get one of Charlies molds and try it though, we're getting quite a few Copperheads for a change, only thing is a lot off snakes are protected here in Tennessee, I'm not sure what the Bambie Nazis would do, kind of like selling bear claws in Texas.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think I'm going to get one of Charlies molds and try it though, we're getting quite a few Copperheads for a change,

Thinking of a trade? :biggrin:

only thing is a lot off snakes are protected here in Tennessee, I'm not sure what the Bambie Nazis would do, kind of like selling bear claws in Texas.

Hey .. if Dunkin Donuts can sell them ...

its_virgil

My latest casting...a trio of Gent blanks. No pressure and no vacuum. Just 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner then into the molds. I like this....much easier and faster.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 564

its_virgil

Thanks John. I like less drama and the results. And yes, more time for fishing and doing other things. I hope the success continues....and I think it will.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Your casting looks great Don! what l do also like is your method that has cut out a lot of the drama involved,now you should have more time for fishing that's gotta be a big plus.:rolleyes::biggrin:

its_virgil

I received the new copy of Woodturning Design today and there is an article in it by Barry Grosss on casting PR blanks. I visited with Barry many times at the AAW in Alberquerque. anOne of his demos was almost identical to the article detailing how he casts his blanks. It was this demo and the visits with Barry that promopted me to come home and try casting once again without the drama (Thanks John, I like that thought) of pressure and vacuum. I still use the ultrasonic cleaner and warm the resin. I've not given that up, yet. So, read Barry's article and you will have the jest of what I've been doing with my casting for the past month....along with the other notes in this thread.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

S.A.Mappin

Just one thing I'd like to contribute to this thread, instead of using wood squares glued to your cork stoppers, I've been using leftover pr from previous castings, I just cut the excess off the end of my blanks, and save them. My thoughts are....no pores.... no air bubbles. At least as far as the wood is concerned. I may try some rubber stoppers in place of the cork. Any thoughts?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I may try some rubber stoppers in place of the cork. Any thoughts?

There's threads on just this idea.. and many suppliers have the stoppers.
I think most kits use either 000 or 00 stoppers. You can often find them
on Ebay.

.. or I guess someone could always make a mold that has the stoppers
built in .. :tongue:

its_virgil

I have some molds that have built in stoppers and I really like them.:wink::biggrin: They save a lot of resin compared to the molds I used on the blanks above. I just don't have those special molds for the gent size tubes.

Barry Gross uses rubber stioppers. Maybe I will try them next time. I think they may cost a little more. The cork stoppers dont seem to give me problems...especially since I've started filling the tubes with play dough.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

There's threads on just this idea.. and many suppliers have the stoppers.
I think most kits use either 000 or 00 stoppers. You can often find them
on Ebay.

.. or I guess someone could always make a mold that has the stoppers
built in .. :tongue:

its_virgil

Here is a pen made from one of the gent blanks I posted earlier in this thread. Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Resin Saving Molds

/quote... I think I'm going to get one of Charlies molds .... end quote

I was reading through many of the threads and kept noticing the mention of these molds. I am currently useing some plastic that is only good for 2 or 3 if cleaned real well. I was wondering where I cold get more info on these molds or the others mentioned as "Resin Saving Molds" ?

Thank you so much for your time,
Dana

glycerine

I have some molds that have built in stoppers and I really like them.:wink::biggrin: They save a lot of resin compared to the molds I used on the blanks above. I just don't have those special molds for the gent size tubes.

Seriously? Can you post some pics? Did you make your own molds with silicon?

its_virgil

I didn't make my own molds. I purchased molds from NewLondon88. He call them resin saver molds. Contact him and he can show you what he has available. I tried to find some pictures on the forum but had no success.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Seriously? Can you post some pics? Did you make your own molds with silicon?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I can't believe I don't have more photos than this .. but then if you've
seen one, you've seen them all. (mostly)

They're pretty simple.. they fit the particular pen kits and any kits that use
the same tubes. Pop in the tubes and pour.

You can use them for labels or skins, but lately I've been using them
to pour colored resins. That way you don't have to drill out blanks or
glue up the tubes.

I really should take more photos.. I have some video clips with greenmtnguy
using the molds, but his agent says he wants creative control and a say
in the distribution.
Oh.. and top billing.

Attachments

• JGS4.jpg
    JGS4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 317
  • SWEB4.jpg
    SWEB4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 367

jleiwig

glue up the tubes.

in the distribution.
Oh.. and top billing.

Do you sand the tubes before putting them in the mold or have you not found it to be a problem?

glycerine

glue up the tubes.

in the distribution.
Oh.. and top billing.

I have some silicone and was going to make some molds soon. I hadn't thought about built in plugs though, that was a great idea! Congratulations on coming up with that one.
I had another thought as well. You could produce some plain old rectangular molds so that one could just cast some normal sized blanks. Then you could produce some shorter rectangular inserts that have the plugs built in and have different sizes for different sized tubes. The length of the tubes wouldn't matter because the inserts could be moved closer together or further apart. The inserts should fit tightly enough into the mold that you wouldn't have to worry about resin leaking in behind them and wasting it. The molds would be more "universal" and people could just buy the inserts that they need.

jleiwig

I have some silicone and was going to make some molds soon. I hadn't thought about built in plugs though, that was a great idea! Congratulations on coming up with that one.
I had another thought as well. You could produce some plain old rectangular molds so that one could just cast some normal sized blanks. Then you could produce some shorter rectangular inserts that have the plugs built in and have different sizes for different sized tubes. The length of the tubes wouldn't matter because the inserts could be moved closer together or further apart. The inserts should fit tightly enough into the mold that you wouldn't have to worry about resin leaking in behind them and wasting it. The molds would be more "universal" and people could just buy the inserts that they need.

That resin will leak around it and will cause all kinds of problems. One thing to know with working any sort of resin or other liquid. The smallest hole/line/crack will be the first place the resin will go to.

Edit....forgot to add that especially if doing pressure or vacuum.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That resin will leak around it and will cause all kinds of problems. One thing to know with working any sort of resin or other liquid. The smallest hole/line/crack will be the first place the resin will go to.

Edit....forgot to add that especially if doing pressure or vacuum.

Yep.. that's why I haven't been able to do something like that so far..
and I have someone looking for me to produce them for sale in some of the
vendor's catalogs. (you know the names)

I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

As for the molds for making regular blanks, look up Gadget in the member
directory.. he makes these molds already. They work great and they're
not expensive.

its_virgil

I've been unsing NewLondon88's resin saver molds for awhile now. I have the molds for the jr gent, gent, baron, cigar, and sierra. Not one leak...not one. But, I've stopped using pressure and vacuum...as is the topic of this thread.

Tonight I poured 4 sets of jr statesman blanks, 10 sierra blanks, one slimline set, and one cigar set...used 14 ounces of polyresin. Talk about resin saving! :biggrin::biggrin: They were all snakeskins blanks and the 10 sierra and 4 slimline sets I made last night look great. I'll post pictures tomorrow evening.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Here is the promised picture:
Tonight I poured 4 sets of jr statesman blanks, 10 sierra blanks, one slimline set, and one cigar set...used 14 ounces of polyresin. Talk about resin saving! :biggrin::biggrin: They were all snakeskins blanks and the 10 sierra and 4 slimline sets I made last night look great. I'll post pictures tomorrow evening.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• snake blanks 909.jpg
    snake blanks 909.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 412

its_virgil

Yep, and saving resin. That's only half of them. I just didn't see a need to post a picture of all of them.

I even put jr gent tubes in the baron mold by mistake...convinced it was the correct mold. The baron tubes are smaller than the jr tubes so the plugs are too. Still, no leaks.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

wow .. you've been BUSY!!

lundebc

Shameless plug for Don's "no-bubbles" casting and New London's Resin saver mold use

I had a customer request something I knew I was not capable of, so I asked Don if he could, and of course, he can! Here is a picture of one of his no-bubbles, resin saver casts! Pictures do not do the blanks justice. Customer's response to the pictures was - hey, when will they be here?

http://lundespens.com/images/p9150674.jpg

http://lundespens.com/images/p9150680.jpg

I will be trying my hand as using these methods and molds again this weekend.

Bruce
Katy Texas

its_virgil

Thanks Bruce! They were fun to create. The pens look great. you did a great job bringing them to the end product. What was the customer;s response when they finally arrived?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I had a customer request something I knew I was not capable of, so I asked Don if he could, and of course, he can! Here is a picture of one of his no-bubbles, resin saver casts! Pictures do not do the blanks justice. Customer's response to the pictures was - hey, when will they be here?

its_virgil

Attached is a file of notes on the casting of snake skin blanks and how I've changed the process in the last few months. Hope some of the info helps.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• casting bubble free.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 629

burgerman

Don, Thanks for the great tutorial. Will be very helpful. Your snakeskin blanks look great. I'm working on label casting. This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly does the ultrasonic cleaner do? Is that to get rid of bubbles? How long do you let it sit in the cleaner before mixing in the MEK? What temp. setting do you have it on? Are you able to re-use your glass jar? (Okay, it was actually several questions.) Thanks for any help you can give.

Top Bottom